Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #1 
kimt

What are your thoughts on this?

I just got my new betta settled in his tank. He is an elephant ear betta. He is in a one gallon minibow until I pick up a 5 gallon on Friday. I noticed that he seemed to be pushed around by the current of the filter and have a hard time swimming with it on. I think because of his large front fins. I turned it off and he seems to be doing much better. Even ate a little bit. Now I am wondering if he will have a hard time in a larger tank. For now, I am leaving the filter off and I will just do daily water changes. Do you think he might be better off in a smaller tank? The plan was to put him in the 5 gallon and to eventually split the 5 gallon and get 1 more betta. But I am worried about him having a hard time swimming. What do you think?
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Lots of different ways to keep this species successfully.

IMO/E-a 1gal unfiltered tank is fine to keep the Long fin males long term-provided that water quality is maintained. IMO/E filters are optional for this species-especially the Long fin males-sometimes the water movement itself can be the cause of fin damage to the long delicate fins-plus it can add stress that can result in neurotic behaviors and compromised immune response. This can sometimes be an issue for the Long fin male with space too-Not all, but some Long fin males can have issue with space and using the fin to swim-Somewhat like the flag in the wind effect. Some are fine with both space and water movement and some only need time to adjust and build muscle mass to tolerate it.

Usually the long fin males have never been kept in water volume greater than a few cups from the time they are 6-8weeks of age and rarely with water movement in order to grow fins.

On unfiltered 1gal-what I recommend for water changes is-twice weekly...1-50% water only and 1-90-100%-with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method-leaving them in the tank for the water changes-especially in the beginning. Too clean can sometimes be as bad as too dirty-You have both good and bad bacteria and its important to have both in the system for balance-not to mention antibody development and stress issue that can compromise the immune response....

Look forward to seeing pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #3 
kyle89

We had squishy in the exact same bowl with the same problem. Bought the 5 gallon tetra led tank and he loves it. We have the filer adjusted down a it doesn't bother him at all
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #4 
kimt

On closer inspection he seems to be missing a good part of his left front fin and I wonder if that may be contributing to his difficulty swimming with the filter on. I think I will leave him in the 1 gallon for a few weeks and see if that fin grows back. If it does, I may try him in the larger tank and see how he does. However the betta hoarder in me is now thinking that if I leave him in the 1 gallon, I can now get 2 more bettas rather than 1 more

Here he is. He doesn't have a name yet.

kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

If his fin doesn't grow back, you could name him Nemo!

He's adorable. :)
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #6 
Otterfun

he is a handsome boy = D
How about Prince?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

He is very handsome. :) I would suggest trying him in the 5 gallon, both filtered and unfiltered. If non-filtered, no matter the size, I'd suggest taking a leaf out of OFL's book and doing an NPT. :) Biological filtration with no water current! :) Alternatively, I've found small sponge filters to be non-disruptive for my HM boy, who has finrot and can barely swim.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote