Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #1 
SinX7

Algae eater and tankmate for 10 gallon?

Can I have a Otoc in a 10 gallon tank? I heard they are great Algae eater in a 10 gallon. If not, feel free to suggest me some! Petsmart preferred.

Also, I want to get a tank mate for them, what can I get? Thinking about Cory's. Maybe a Panda.

Currently have 1 live plant, and 1 Ghost shrimp with the Betta.

Thanks!

Last edited by SinX7; 03-04-2013 at 09:43 PM.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Otos don't do well in tanks that aren't planted. They also need groups of 5+, which is fine in a ten gallon *if* it is well planted and established. They are wild-caught with cyanide in a lot of places which makes them pretty delicate.

Cories are good if you have sand, but I'd only do pandas if you have water on the soft acidic side, as they are a little less hardy than the larger ones. However, they are a much better size for a ten gallon.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #3 
SinX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Otos don't do well in tanks that aren't planted. They also need groups of 5+, which is fine in a ten gallon *if* it is well planted and established. They are wild-caught with cyanide in a lot of places which makes them pretty delicate.

Cories are good if you have sand, but I'd only do pandas if you have water on the soft acidic side, as they are a little less hardy than the larger ones. However, they are a much better size for a ten gallon.
Is 2 Oto fine in a 10 gallon? Petsmart only had two left.

And how planted should the tank be?

Thanks!
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Two otos may be ok short-term, but you really want to be able to buy a full school long-term. I'd suggest not buying any until you are able to get 5. :) In a group they are much more confident, which makes them less stressed and more likely to settle in and eat well.

Remember that you will need to supplement their diets with algae as they are voracious little eaters.

As for planting, I'm not just talking about a few plants here and there, but at least moderately, preferrably heavily planted. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote