Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pro Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday except saturdays

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every four or five days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 50 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Api Stress coat and Microbe-Life Special Blend

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I havent had the water tested, but it is water from the sink at school.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His tail fins seem to be thinning and he lays with a curve to his body.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He just lays around at the top of the tank and does not move around like he did before.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Sunday night when I returned from home
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? Two weeks

His name is Riley and he is my first betta fish. I went home for the weekend and he was fine when I left on friday. I fed him friday morning before I left for class. I usually feed him four pellets everyday except saturday. He moves every once and a while, which lets me know hes still alive. His tummy looks to be enlarge some. Some one help me save Riley

Here are some pictures that will maybe help. The first one is what he looked like when I first got him the other two are what he looks like now :(

Name:  011.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  25.9 KB

Name:  017.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  30.2 KB
Katsoftball225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #2 
callistra

Most people will tell you that you can't ever fully cycle a tank this small, despite your filter, and you will always need twice weekly 50% and 100% changes.. you can try, but careful daily monitoring and reliable test kits should be used. You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon or new fresh turkey baster that has never seen chems is needed to remove poop and other debris from the gravel. It is not enough to just scoop water off the top ever. I actually suggest a turkey baster or very small siphon because your tank is so small an average siphon will remove water too quickly.

First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by twice weekly 50% change with baster/siphon. However, cycling will take up to two months to complete and many if not most people will tell you that you can't cycle a tank of this size and you will always need twice weekly 50% and 100% water changes or you will always see ammonia continuing to build and the cycle will never finish..

Bettas are tropical fish and must be kept at a temp between 76-82, with 78-80 being ideal. The temp must be stable and not be dipping or jumping around. In a 3 gallon you can get an adjustable 25w heater. Any new heater should be tested for 24 hours in similar size container with in tank thermometer to make sure it will hold a constant appropriate temp between 78-80F. Then the betta must be acclimated to higher temp either by floating in a cup inside the main already fully heated tank for an hour, or by adjusting the heater to increase the temperature of the tank no more than a degree per hour and 5 degrees per day.

Your pellet has a lot of wheat and fillers and tends to cause constipation issues like you are seeing. You should look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you pick up) and one fast day a week.

I would fast him the next 3 days to a week and do a series of 2-3 50% water changes using same temp water (place thermometer under running tap) and premix conditioner using gallon water jugs from the store if you aren’t already.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #3 
Katsoftball225

I will look into the food and strips tomorrow. For now I will just leave the temperature warmer in my room until I can get a heater this weekend. Is there any other way I could relieve his constipation?
Katsoftball225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #4 
callistra

Strips are inaccurate.. that's why I suggested a drops kit.

You need to do a series of water changes to remove potential spikes.. outlined above.

The best preventative is good water quality, appropriate temps and good food.. all of which need to be corrected.

Best way to fix it is by fixing the above, and then fasting a few days. If that doesn't work you can add epsom salts - pure 100% magnesium sulfate with no additives. I get mine at CVS Pharmacy Predissolve 1 tsp per gallon and add slowly over an hour. You only need to add more along with a water change, then only add as much as water you replace.

Last edited by callistra; 03-05-2013 at 05:46 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote