Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #1 
obxfiction

Exclamation Male Veiltail Fins Ragged and Shortening

My blue male veiltail, Azure normally has long, flowing fins and tail. In the last 2 days, I've noticed they look frayed. My son noticed that they've shortened, as well. Upon closer inspection, he's right. Azure has lost at least a quarter of an inch of length. He isn't quite as aggressive at feeding time, either, and he's seeming just a bit tired. He lives in a 10 gallon decorated tank with one large live bamboo, and 2 algae eaters, each less than an inch long. I've never seen any aggression from them. I was going to leave him solo after the ADF debacle, but we kept having a huge algae issue, which the little guys resolved. The tank water is clear and 80 degrees. I never change water, just add tap water treated with Stress Coat when needed. I'll get the water tested today. Any ideas? If this is finrot, how do I treat him in his current environment? I've read ten different methods. This is the only site I trust. Thanks a bunch.
Attached Images

obxfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #2 
TwilightNite

It looks to me as if he has been biting...... This can be in result of boredom..... Do you mind posting a picture of his tank?
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

We need more info-complete this info sheet and add-the more info the better...Also, another pic showing the fins a bit better will help too.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #4 
obxfiction

I just had his water tested. Everything was high exept the ph. The store advised 25% water changes monthly, along with vaccuming his gravel and changing his filter. They advised Betafix by API, then aquarium salt after completion of medication. Is all that correct? Added is a photo of his tank, minus the large bamboo I added about a month ago.
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, baffled with pantyhose.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two small algae eaters

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega Betta Buffet in the morning, frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp in the afternoon.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? None as of yet.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Add Stress Coat when adding water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: High
Nitrite: High
Nitrate:
pH: Low
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Ragged, shortening fins/tail.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems slightly tired, hangs out on his silk plant, less aggressively feeding.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? Not yet. If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea for sure, but maybe a year or less.
Attached Images

Last edited by obxfiction; 03-10-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #5 
Hadoken Kitty

Looks at the sides of his face. Does he have red streaks on/by his gills? I have attached a picture to help you see what you're looking for (that's if you can see it in my picture. Tell me if you can't and I'll go in and circle it). You should definitely do a water change. I would suggest doing a rather large one, at least 50% at this point.
Attached Images

Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #6 
obxfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Looks at the sides of his face. Does he have red streaks on/by his gills? I have attached a picture to help you see what you're looking for (that's if you can see it in my picture. Tell me if you can't and I'll go in and circle it). You should definitely do a water change. I would suggest doing a rather large one, at least 50% at this point.
I see what you're talking about. No, he's perfect except for his tail and fins. They just look shorter and ragged. Last night they looked like they had threads hanging out of them, trailing the fins. Today those are gone. There doesn't seem to be any discoloration anywhere. He's a very dark blue fish. The first picture is distorted by the flash. He has no green or teal at all.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Since this isn't a heavy planted tank-one of the biggest problems is the water quality due to lack of water changes. The tattered fins and eroding fins are most likely due to water current that cause an opening in the tissues and secondary infection related to water quality and lack of healing and progress of symptoms due to compromised immune response.

What I would recommend-Qt him in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-78F range and start a salt and tannin treatment along with good nutrition.

for the tank itself-I would start with small volume water changes-10% daily for 3 days-then increase by 10% every 4th day until you reach 50%-Then make 50% for 2 days. Vacuum the substrate every 3rd water change.
Then get on a regular water change schedule of 50% weekly with vacuum in all places you can reach without moving anything.
Rinse/swish the filter media in old tank water or dechlorinated water a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow.

Good luck...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

Is there any gray/black edging? I can't see any in the pics, but sometimes you can see it in real life where as it does not show in pictures. This is a sign of fin rot. It sounds more like biting to me. I've personally felt every one of those ornaments that you have in that tank (not those exact ones...but you know...lol), so I doubt it is ripping from the ornamentation. Also, I very highly doubt that the algae eaters would be nipping at your boy's fins. Fin rot is something that you have to watch for with a fin nipper. One of my male bettas is a fin nipper. They do it for many reasons, though. Sometimes their tails feel too heavy, sometimes they're hungry, sometimes they're bored, and I'm sure there are other reasons too.

I really suggest doing a water change, though. The high ammonia is what causes those red marks that I was trying to get you to ID before, which are ammonia burns.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #9 
callistra

How high is high? Are we talking ammonia and nitrite being high?

25-50% change weekly with siphon is needed for a fully established tank, however cycling can take up to 2 months to complete. You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon

First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by weekly 25-50% change w/ siphon

If you change your fitler you should only change one type of media monthly.. hopefully there is more than one type in your filter.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You have to do at least 25% water changes weekly. When you just top it off, you are only adding water and not removing anything. Ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites do not evaporate with the water, thus leaving it to build up. Do not use bettafix. Heck, avoid all chemical medicines if possible. What he needs is clean water and aquarium salt at 1tsp/g predissolved.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finrot, shortening tail/fins., tattered fins/tail