Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #11 
Luminous

I switched him to the 1 gallon tank and raised my room temperature to 77 but his temperature is only 70. It went down very slowly so hopefully he's going to be okay with that. He seems fine though. I switched him back to the salt. Any ideas of when I should notice changes?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #12 
Laki

Well I doubt you will see any growth without warm water. Very little. My sister keeps cold water bettas and one bites its fins, never to regrow. And her VT succumbed to some fungus which warm water would have killed off easily.
I cannot stress enough the importance of a heater right now. Without one, your fish can live but he won't be very active. Like polar opposite of what he should be.

If it is true fin rot, the cold water will only allow it to progress- not really getting better 100%. The salt won't do much except prevent it from spreading so he might remain in a sort of miserable limbo.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #13 
Luminous

Do you know of anything offhand that can be used to keep the smaller tank warm? Do you think it would be safe to put a heating pad for people under the tank?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #14 
Laki

Actually it might. I tried wrapping the hospital tank I'm using now for my mom's fish but it did not have a significant effect on the temp of the water. Water heats up and cools slower than the air around us... I would suggest a human heating pad, a desk lamp or placing the tank on a table over a radiator (but not dangerously close, to harm the tank or fish)
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #15 
callistra

No a heating pad is not okay. it has no off and the on and off would create fluctuations that are hard on bettas, maybe even lethal. same reason you don't want to use a heat lamp.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #16 
Luminous

I just raised my room tempurature to 80 so hopefully that will warm his tank enough to make him healthy again.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #17 
Agility4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
He's used to 80 degree temperature and I have it at 75 in my room. Will that be okay for him to go down until he's cured? It doesn't seem that the heater will be safe in the smaller 1 gallon tank and changing a two gallon constantly is a lot of work.
I'm battling fin rot/clamping with mine right now and he showed some improvement yesterday and then we found him near death in the corner of his tank this morning. We discovered the water was cold and the heater wasn't working consistently. I put him straight away into another container with warm water and he perked up a bit but he's not recovered to his condition he was yesterday. I ran out and got another heater. This will be a set back to his recovery and I hope he can make it. Sooo, I think a proper heater is of utmost importance and slightly warmer than not.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #18 
Luminous

His temperature went up to 73 but I was thinking of getting a heater that will work in the one gallon tank. I'm worried about it not being a good product though. Any experience with heaters that are good for one gallons?
Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #19 
Laki

You can use a 25 watt heater just set it really low and watch it for the first few hours. The safest heaters in my opinion at the lowest watt is 25. I tried both 7.5 watt and 10 watt. While they all worked without ever burning the water, they last about a year and slowly start going down.

If you want to put 16$ down on a heater, get a 10 watt one for now but you will have to get a 25w anyway when you move him back to the larger tank.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #20 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you float him inside the larger tank? Or, if you want a heater for a one gallon, you can try getting a preset one that's between 7.5 to 10 Watts. They cost about $12. Or, as suggested, you could get an adjustable 25W one for about $5 more.

Edited to add: Or, I could have just written +1 on what Laki wrote above! LOL
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote