Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #1 
xtcking

acting very strange and wont eat!!

Creo has been acting weird for a week, sometimes when I feed him dinner he seems almost afraid of me, breakfast is usually fine. He seems a little sluggish this week. When I came home today he was just laying on his side on the gravel!! something I haven't ever seen since I got him, he never likes being very low in the tank. and now he wont eat, he looks to be having a hard time breathing and I think his head is looking kinda pale!!

Creo lives in a 5g tank thats usually 75-78 degrees has a small filter and a heater, he lives alone.

he eats aqueon (?) betta pellets and I feed him 3-5 twice daily usally 7-9 am. and a gain the same time at night.

I have a cycled tank, I usually do 30% and a 50% change a week. I add the BB, water conditioner, and once a week I toss in some stress zyme? has BB plus some slime coat stuff

I haven't tested the water because its been cycled regularly and I just cleaned the tank really well this morning, so I doubt anything will register anyway.

I just added some anti ik stuff! Ive never had a sick fish yet!

oh and creo is.. well I got him maybe 2 months ago from the pet store.. not sure how old they are to be sold.

sorry for all the jumping around!
xtcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #2 
Kanra Chan

You might want to test the water, something in it could be stressing him out.
If he's having a hard tome breathing, it could be ammonia burn.
That would explain the paleness and stress, as well as his behaviour.
Aside from that, he could be bored or he may need more placed to hide in his tank in order to feel safe.
Gravel has it's downsides because it is hard to clean without a vacuum, and sometimes harbours food and waste, which could be a cause of high ammonia levels.

Hope your fish feels better soon!
Kanra Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #3 
Kanra Chan

If he won't eat, you may want to put a food stone (Like the ones you put in when you go on vacation) in his tank, so he can choose to eat when he's hungry rather than you having to monitor him.
You'd just need to be up on the water changes for that.
Kanra Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #4 
soady

It seems to me that the water temperature is too low. I keep mine at 80 constantly. It is very important to have constant temperature, so "usually 75-78" sounds bad. You should start increasing the temperature 1F a day until it reaches 80, and then keep it like that. He will probably feel much better!

P.S. The paleness is usually due to the cold water.

Last edited by soady; 03-05-2013 at 04:14 PM.
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #5 
callistra

If you mean you feed 3-5 twice a day, meaning 6-10 you are way overfeeding. If you mean you split this up, this is fine. One day a week he should fast.

Bettas are tropical fish and must be kept at a temp between 76-82, with 78-80 being ideal. The temp must be stable and not be dipping or jumping around. In a tank of this size, 25w is minimal.

I would stop dosing bacterial supplements and stress zyme. It should not necessary but once during cycling and even then it may not work.. most don't.

What is your filter and how do you maintain it?

How do you clean your tank? Be as specific as possible.

How long did you cycle your tank for?

Cycling takes up to two months. You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon is needed to remove poop and other debris from the gravel. It is not enough to just scoop water off the top ever.

First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by weekly 50% change with siphon.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #6 
xtcking

after the ick treatment last night I woke up and he was wanting breakfast. I fed him a couple pellets and hes non stop hyper. every time I check on him hes darting around the tank, playing in the filter current or trying to fight the thermometer! I don't know what was wrong but... it seems to be gone. he hasn't been this excited since the first 2 days I brought him home.
xtcking is offline   Reply With Quote