Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #1 
SilverWolf

LED Lighting - Live plants possible?

So, DH's parents bought us a 10G starter kit and it has LED lights. I was planning to have a soil bottom and live plants. Is this possible with these LED lights or am I screwed? (I'm not interested in having a bunch of extra lights around the outside) I'd really hate to tell them its the wrong kind of tank and to take it back!

For what its worth it is the Marineland Bio-Wheel LED 10 Gallon Aquarium Kit.

TIA!
SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

From the research I have made regarding LED lights and live plants-Unless they are rated for plants-you will be limited on the species of plants you can grow. I have never personally tried growing plant with LED's-but IMO, using LED's with a soil based might be risky-since you need a lot of fast growing stem plants and LED's may not support the growth. But like I said, I haven't tried them personally-It might work and it might not....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #3 
tekkguy

That LED setup is very likely "low light" at best. There are 22 white "daylight" LEDs in that hood, but whether their "daylight" term actually means 6500K or not, I couldn't tell you.

My main planted tank has LED lighting, and it is low light. There are LEDs for high lighting, but that tank doesn't come with them.

You'll probably do just fine with low/medium light plants near the center of the LED fixture, and low to the edges.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #4 
SilverWolf

Ok, we'll try it out with a low light plant base. The tank gets a TON of natural indirect light, so maybe that'll be the boost it needs to survive? I'll let you know in the coming months if it works!
SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote