Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #1 
Lotte

Have all the supplies! How to prepare the new home?

So I went shopping for betta fish supplies and have everything ready. I got a 2.5 Gallon. How do I clean everything for startup? Can I use dish detergent or should I just run everything in hot water? As for heating I have a 7.5 watt and I'm planning to fill my tank up and monitor the water temperature for a few days before introducing him/her to the new home. I actually don't have much experience so I have been lurking around in this website and doing research. Any advice for a new betta owner? Things I should confirm before going out to buy one?

Thanks!
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #2 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseBetta View Post
So I went shopping for betta fish supplies and have everything ready. I got a 2.5 Gallon. How do I clean everything for startup? Can I use dish detergent or should I just run everything in hot water? As for heating I have a 7.5 watt and I'm planning to fill my tank up and monitor the water temperature for a few days before introducing him/her to the new home. I actually don't have much experience so I have been lurking around in this website and doing research. Any advice for a new betta owner? Things I should confirm before going out to buy one?

Thanks!
Noooo don't use any soap of any kind Apparently its dangerous for fishes and it is nearly impossible to completely rinse it off XD

If the tank is new, I usually just rinse it. It hasn't been used so there is no reason to think it's contaminated (but that's just my opinion). If you must, you can fill it 90% water and 10% bleach, let it sit for a while, and then rinse like crazy. I don't suggest the hot water simply because I'm not sure how the silicone would hold up.

I'm assuming the 7.5 watt heater isn't adjustable? That is alright but that's a great idea to test that the temp remains more or less constant.

My advice is to look carefully when selecting the betta. Since you are a new betta owner, it'd be good if you don't have to deal with diseases right off the bat so...... a big thing to watch out for is clamped fins. If the fins seem to be clamped/stuck together it's a good indication that something is wrong. Hold the betta against another betta and see if he/she perks up and flares. Try to avoid bettas that seem to have grey patches, white dots over their bodies, and melting fins. It seems kinda obvious but sometimes it's hard to pick up on these things at the actual store.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #3 
MiyuMikaelson

Hot water! Never ever ever use soap!
:)

Betta's generally speaking like hides. Places where they can go in to feel secure. Whether that be tall plants or a cave, or both! With plants, if you're going the fake route, SILK. Definitely do the panty-hose test. If a plant or decoration snags on pantyhose, it can snag your betta's fins. Another thing with decorations, make sure there's no metal. More often than not it will cause some serious issues with the tank.

I suggest Prime water conditioner, and a Master Test Kit to watch your waters Ammonia levels.

I'm not a professional like a lot of people on here, but there are just a few things I've learned.
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #4 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiyuMikaelson View Post
Hot water! Never ever ever use soap!

Betta's generally speaking like hides. Places where they can go in to feel secure. Whether that be tall plants or a cave, or both! With plants, if you're going the fake route, SILK. Definitely do the panty-hose test. If a plant or decoration snags on pantyhose, it can snag your betta's fins. Another thing with decorations, make sure there's no metal. More often than not it will cause some serious issues with the tank.

I suggest Prime water conditioner, and a Master Test Kit to watch your waters Ammonia levels.

I'm not a professional like a lot of people on here, but there are just a few things I've learned.
+1

Also, in case you don't, you should have a lid or cover for the tank. Helps keep the temp constant and keeps bettas from jumping out of the tank.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #5 
waterdog

Simply rinse the tank like valen said. Rinse the gravel before you put it in to get the dust out. Get an adjustable heater. They are more reliable. Also a thermometer.
Are you planning on filtering? If so, get a sponge filter so you don't have flow issues. Look in my albums and you will see my 2.5 and see the sponge filter I have and the heater.
If you don't have a top, get one. Not only for light, but to keep fishy from jumping.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #6 
ZubinBetta

When you get a top for the tank, leave a space between the top and the surface of the water, for gas exchange and to let the betta come up for air.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #7 
Freyja
Banned

I think the API Master kit is overkill, especially if the OP is not intending to cycle the tank. One 50% and one 100% water change weekly is good enough to maintain water quality if it's an unfiltered tank. For a filtered tank, 2 50% water changes, one of those with substrate cleaning, are good enough. Another thing I want to mention is that you don't need to let your conditioned water sit out for 24 hours before doing a water change. Water conditioners work instantly. Just remember to match your tank's water temp when doing the water change. Prime is a great conditioner and will last you a long time as you only need two drops per gallon. I have the small bottle, have had it for almost six months; do water changes for a 2.5, a 1g bowl, a 1g grow-out, and a 20g; and still have about half the bottle. More important than the test kit is getting some low-light easy to maintain plants like elodea/anacharis, wisteria, water sprite, java fern or java moss. They will use up the ammonia that your fish produces and do wonders for your fish's water quality.

As for cleaning, you can also use water/vinegar mix. Soak, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse until it doesn't smell like vinegar, and let air dry.

Quality food is key. Omega one (Petsmart) or New Life Spectrum (Petco) are the recommended brands on this forum. I feed two in the morning and two in the evening, with a saturday fast day.

A 2.5 is not big enough for tankmates, except maybe shrimp, who will most likely become snacks.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote