Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #1 
DizzyD

synthetic Mopani Driftwood question

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Accessories section or the Planted aquarium section so it this is the wrong section I appoligize.

My question is; will anubius and other plants that grow on hardscaping items grow on the synthetic mopani driftwood that petco sells or not?
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #2 
shellieca

It probably depends how porous it is. Natural wood is porous giving the roots a place to attach. I'm no expert on this but that's how I see it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #3 
DizzyD

That is what I figured, but I can not find the answer anywhere. I was hoping that someone on here has tried it before.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #4 
DizzyD

I actually can't even find it on Petco's site, but I swear when I was there the other day they had 3 different sizes of fake mopani driftwood. They didn't have any of the real stuff, but they do on their site.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #5 
Tabbie82

I ordered some of Petco's mopani fake driftwood from the website last week. I got an email a few days ago saying it was backordered and then a second email saying it was no longer available. I don't know if this means they won't sell it anymore, but it may be why you can't find it online. I don't know that it would be porous enough for a plant to attach to. I have one and the surface on it is pretty smooth. I don't see how the plant would attach, but I haven't tried. Maybe someone has?
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #6 
tekkguy

If they are resin just like other aquarium ornaments, it won't attach. You'd be better off attaching it to a small piece of real wood, and stuffing that into a hole or tying it to the fake one.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #7 
DizzyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
If they are resin just like other aquarium ornaments, it won't attach. You'd be better off attaching it to a small piece of real wood, and stuffing that into a hole or tying it to the fake one.
Figures, I've been looking for somewhere that has real mopani so that I could actually look at the pieces before I buy, but its proving difficult. I guess I will just have to take my chances ordering online. Any suggested retailers?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #8 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyD View Post
Figures, I've been looking for somewhere that has real mopani so that I could actually look at the pieces before I buy, but its proving difficult. I guess I will just have to take my chances ordering online. Any suggested retailers?
Sorry, I've never ordered any online. We have some great LFS in Dallas that carry nice wood. Mostly, though, I've gone out and hunted my own wood. It's not mopani, but it's good stuff.

I have bought some regular non-mopani driftwood on Etsy of all places, lol.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #9 
DizzyD

etsy huh? Never would have thought to look on there for driftwood.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #10 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyD View Post
etsy huh? Never would have thought to look on there for driftwood.
I didn't either, but it popped up in a random Google search when I was being picky for a piece in my shrimp tank.