Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #1 
KnzD

Question Water Conditioner Question

I have had my betta fish for over 3 months now. All I have had was a minor case of fin rot which was solved rather quickly. Other than that I have had no problems. As my current bottle of water conditioner is slowly running out (will run out in about a month's time) I have started looking to buy a new bottle.
Looking through the different brands available in my area and their prices I have noted some disparities. I am primarily looking at the Nutrafin brand since I have been using it with success and since it is affordable. I have noticed that the Nutrafin Betta Plus conditioner is more expensive than the Nutrafin Aqua Plus conditioner despite the fact that they seem identical. The only noticeable difference I could find between the two is the "almond leaf extract" found in the Betta Plus.
Is there any difference between the two? Is Betta Plus a diluted Aqua Plus with a little add-on? Should I switch to the Aqua Plus or should I stick with Betta Plus?

Also on a side note; I bought Nutrafin Cycle to add to the water when I do 100% and 50% water change since I don't really have the space and equipment for cycling my water. Anybody have any experience with this product? Is it a good idea.
Attached Images

KnzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #2 
bettabetter

I understand your need to save money, but as far as I know, the betta plus is a better choice. the one i use is about 1$ more than the Nutrafin, but i used it and it works really well, so if you ever needed another one i would recommend Tetra Bettasafe conditioner. this is a bit more of a reliable brand, but really it's up to you :)
bettabetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Many "betta" water conditioners are regular conditioners that have been diluted with water. This is done because lots of people keep their bettas in tiny tanks. Dosing is sometimes difficult for people who have tiny (less than 1 gallon) tanks. (And we know that petstores sell lots of these!)

For example: Petsmart's Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner contains the exact same ingredients as Top Fin Water Conditioner. The difference is that the Betta version requires 2.5 mL per gallon, while the non-betta specific version requires 1 mL per gallon.

So if you get the Betta version, you're either paying a lot of money for 'water,' or you're paying a premium for your high-class fish!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #4 
KnzD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Many "betta" water conditioners are regular conditioners that have been diluted with water. This is done because lots of people keep their bettas in tiny tanks. Dosing is sometimes difficult for people who have tiny (less than 1 gallon) tanks. (And we know that petstores sell lots of these!)

For example: Petsmart's Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner contains the exact same ingredients as Top Fin Water Conditioner. The difference is that the Betta version requires 2.5 mL per gallon, while the non-betta specific version requires 1 mL per gallon.

So if you get the Betta version, you're either paying a lot of money for 'water,' or you're paying a premium for your high-class fish!

Yeah that's what I thought. The first giveaway was the dosing amount as well as the fact that they usually only sell them in smaller packages. I checked the dosing amount for the "non-betta" conditioner and it showed that the formula was more concentrated.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, once I researched this, I never bought the betta specific conditioner again. I simply switched to the more concentrated one, added the correct amount of conditioner, and life continued - exactly as it had been previously.

The only difference is that I saved some money. (Which I promptly spent on new plants and decorations. LOL)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #6 
KnzD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Yes, once I researched this, I never bought the betta specific conditioner again. I simply switched to the more concentrated one, added the correct amount of conditioner, and life continued - exactly as it had been previously.

The only difference is that I saved some money. (Which I promptly spent on new plants and decorations. LOL)

That's what I thought. Thanks for the advice! "Saving" money here I come!
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

If it is available, I'd consider switching to Prime. :) In the long run, it will save you a lot more money as it is extremely concentrated (0.1ml dechlorinates 1 gallon). It also detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and removes heavy metals, in addition to dechlorinating. :)

Don't bother with Cycle or anything like it. It can help speed the process up if you are cycling (though I prefer Seachem's Stability) but if you aren't cycling, I wouldn't bother. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote