Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #1 
SilverWolf

Snails for NPT?

I'm afraid to add snails to my tank for fear of snail overload. Is it possible to add different species that are not hermaphrodites? Anyone know of compatible snails? Does what I'm asking even make sense? Lol
SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #2 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWolf View Post
I'm afraid to add snails to my tank for fear of snail overload. Is it possible to add different species that are not hermaphrodites? Anyone know of compatible snails? Does what I'm asking even make sense? Lol
nerites, i heard are pretty good compared to Mystery Snail in terms of bioload.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #3 
Aurie

I have 1 nerite and some Malasian trumpet snails in my small NPT .. Yeah the malasians had babies, but I originally put in 6 adults, and pulled out 5 yesterday. I dropped half a blanched pea in for ted (he gets one a month and he only eats like 1/8th of a pea) and the rest fell down. Well like 2 hours later all the snails were all nom nom nom on them so I just scooped them out with a plastic tablespoon and threw them in the trash. so now I have 1 adult and a couple babies.

I believe they are live bearers, I never see egg sacks like pond snails, but don't quote me on it. They aren't stupid crazy on their breeding. I think of the 6 adults I've seen maybe just a couple babies. Like 1 new one every 2 weeks ? This is my personal exp but I think they'll do wonders for your tank. They'll eat up dead and decaying leaves and fish poop and stir up the sand so any nasty bubbles are popped early from the soil (if doing a walstad method)

Oh , and if you ask your local fish store, if they have any they are usually willing to give you a couple free. I asked for 3 I got 6 from hitchhikers..
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

I have two mystery snails that seem to mind their own business really. No breeding thus far *fingers crossed*.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #5 
TeteRouge

Nerites cannot reproduce in fresh water, so you won't get babies. They will lay eggs about, but they don't hatch.
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #6 
Aurie

Nerites are great for algae, and I have 2 of them. They are all "OMG Algae, NOM NOM NOM" .. I swear my 2 never stop moving and eating!

Malaysian trumpet snails will help with the sand. Soil tanks can burp bad gasses and since they burrow in the sand they release those gasses before they can build up and harm your fish.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #7 
SilverWolf

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately you have to pay for any snail here and they range from 3-5 bucks each! Once I'm a lil more established I'll pick some up!
SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote