Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #1 
eclover09

So devastated : (

So I had been out of the betta scene for a little over a year. I had fifteen betta's at one time, but slowly one by one they passed away and I really loved all my fish, so I just decided to take a break after loosing them. Recently though I moved out from my parents to transfer to a university and I had the itch again to have another betta, so I bought myself a cute little female.

However, I have always, always, ALWAYS wanted a yellow Betta. I saw one once four years ago, but at the time my family and I were in the process of getting ready to move and my mother discouraged me from buying it. At the time I had only one betta and was new to betta keeping, so I had no idea how rare bright yellow bettas were. I've seen them on Aquabid but I have never been able to afford them, so for four years since then I have searched every Petco and Petsmart for one and going crazy when I've seen people on here find a yellow betta in a store and I have never been close. But a week ago I thought FINALLY! My friend who lives two hours from me and works at Petsmart messages me that she found a sharpie yellow Betta. I was a bit skeptical, for Ive seen pale yellow bettas and thought she meant one of those and was over excited, but she sends me a picture and by a utter miracle it was a ultra bright yellow male betta!

So I ask her if she can buy the fish and the supplies, and I'll pay her back. Spring break was in two weeks so I told her Id drive down during spring break and pick him up and she said sure. So she took him home and set everything up for him, but she mentioned to me that he seemed sick, that he was very listless and didn't want to eat. Ive dealt with betta's like that before though so I figured some clean warm water and proper care would perk him up...

She called me today to say she came home and he was dead : ( FOUR YEARS! Four years I have searched relentlessly and I finally find this elusive yellow betta and he dies?! Ugh, I am SO heart broken! Just one week and a half more and I could have gotten him, I mean at least to have seen him up close even if only for a little! Life hates me apparently : (
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #2 
ZubinBetta

I'm sorry he died before you had a chance to get properly acquainted. If that PetSmart had a bright yellow betta once, though, they may have another before too long. Also, how far out of reach is Aquabid? That is, could you save up money in a special "yellow fish" account, or ask that Christmas and birthday gifts be money for your fish?
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #3 
MiyuMikaelson

+1 to ZubinBetta.

I'm very sorry that you never got the chance to properly meet him.
:(

Aquabid has tons of fishies, yellow pops up sometimes.
:)
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #4 
eclover09

Typically the yellows I see that are the bright yellow and not orange yellow are like 40 bucks, and with shipping and everything on top of it its just always seemed way too much for me to pay upfront. Ive tried saving before but always ended up needing the money, I'm going to try saving again : /
Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

You could post something in the Classifieds forum, asking if anyone has a yellow fish.

Polukoff's avatar is a yellow one, so maybe he has something. Um, at least it looks yellow to me.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #6 
ZubinBetta

Maybe this wouldn't work for you, but could you go to that PetSmart (call them)--or to another PetSmart or PetCo--and ask if they could order a yellow fish, that you would be willing to pay X$ for him? Or is there a specialty fish store in the city where you live or not too far away, that might be willing to special order a yellow fish for you?
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #7 
Tabbie82

That is such a shame. I am sorry you lost him. Don't lose hope. You will find a way to get your yellow betta someday.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #8 
eclover09

Sadly Ive asked Petco and Petsmart before about ordering one and they've told me they can't do that, they just get the fish that they get. I also asked a fish store in Phoenix where I used to lived and they told me the same thing. I am apparently just very unlucky
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You would have better luck asking at a "mom and pop" store. They are usually much more accommodating. Shame this happened. I should have some yellow fry in a few months and would be willing to get you one at a decent price (5-10$) but shipping would be ridiculous.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #10 
eclover09

Well, maybe in a few months I'll have some money saved...I can only hope