Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #1 
Lotte

Questions about Water Changing -New bettaquarium

Is it all right to do daily 50% water changes? I plan to use sea chem prime as recommended in my previous thread. As of now I currently don't have a betta but plan on purchasing one. The tank I have is a 2.5G, 7.5 watt zoo med heater and plan on purchasing a sponge filter. I don't mind doing 50% water changes daily but would it harm my betta? Should I purchase a siphon to vacuum the gravel? Last of all, can I do 100% water changes once per week?

Thanks!
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Daily 50% water changes are perfectly fine if you want to be cautious with your water quality.

I know people on here tend to recommend x amount of water changes a week based on tank size, but each tank is unique and so I always advise people to purchase an ammonia test kit so they can at least get an idea of how many water changes they actually need to do.

A 100% water change once a week is also fine. As long as your betta is acclimatised properly in case the new water is wildly different from the aquarium water, he/she should be okay.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #3 
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Daily 50% water changes are perfectly fine if you want to be cautious with your water quality.

I know people on here tend to recommend x amount of water changes a week based on tank size, but each tank is unique and so I always advise people to purchase an ammonia test kit so they can at least get an idea of how many water changes they actually need to do.

A 100% water change once a week is also fine. As long as your betta is acclimatised properly in case the new water is wildly different from the aquarium water, he/she should be okay.
Oh I see. For acclimating should I float my betta in a cup in the new water while slowly replacing the old water or leave the cup out while slowly switching the water. As for the heater can I leave it on overnight since it generally becomes cooler? I also have a problem with understanding how it works will the heater heat to a certain degree and remain consistent? Sorry about all these questions haha
Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Heaters should be left on the whole time. Is yours an adjustable one or just one that heats to like 5 degrees above room temperature?

The heater will stay on or go off depending on the temperature of the water. That's why you use them, to provide not only the desired temperature, but also a consistent temperature.

However, the ones that only heat a certain amount of degrees above ambient room temperature are useless unless your actual room stays a consistent temperature. While it might be fine in the day, if the room temperature suddenly drops overnight, the water temperature is going to also fluctuate. Fluctuations can cause stress, and stress can contribute to disease in fish.

Once your water change is done, you can just float your betta in a cup around in the tank and over the course of 10-15 minutes, gradually replace the water in the cup with water from the tank.

Bettas are pretty hardy fish, so you shouldn't need to sit there for an hour slowly dripping water in after each 100% water change.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #5 
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Heaters should be left on the whole time. Is yours an adjustable one or just one that heats to like 5 degrees above room temperature?

The heater will stay on or go off depending on the temperature of the water. That's why you use them, to provide not only the desired temperature, but also a consistent temperature.

However, the ones that only heat a certain amount of degrees above ambient room temperature are useless unless your actual room stays a consistent temperature. While it might be fine in the day, if the room temperature suddenly drops overnight, the water temperature is going to also fluctuate. Fluctuations can cause stress, and stress can contribute to disease in fish.

Once your water change is done, you can just float your betta in a cup around in the tank and over the course of 10-15 minutes, gradually replace the water in the cup with water from the tank.

Bettas are pretty hardy fish, so you shouldn't need to sit there for an hour slowly dripping water in after each 100% water change.
Ohh okay thanks! Unfortunately my heater isn't adjustable nor shuts down when at the right temperature. Hopefully it stays consistent because it was quite pricey
Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Just to clarify the "heaters should be left on the whole time point" - remember that this is not ture when doing a water change. :) Always turn it off when removing water from the tank! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #7 
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Just to clarify the "heaters should be left on the whole time point" - remember that this is not ture when doing a water change. :) Always turn it off when removing water from the tank! :)
Even when using a siphon? Thanks! ^^
Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #8 
Saphira101

Yep, even with a siphon. It's just so it doesn't get damaged or overheat when the water level is below the minimum.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #9 
jadaBlu

My heater instruction says to turn it off during changes to avoid risk of electrical shock as well to avoid frying it.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #10 
Saphira101

That too!!
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote