Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #1 
SilverWolf

Shrimp types?

I was at the store today and they had a few varieties of shrimp. Do I have to have ghost shrimps? What about a flower or cherry? Are they able to live together, one of each kind?
SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #2 
Laki

Hi there! Some people have different opinions but I 100% cherry shrimp are the way to go. I bought ghost shrimp before and one died the night I bought it, poisoning the whole tank with ammonia and within a week my betta died (there were other factors involved but the ghost shrimp are just so hard to friggen see!).

When I was looking into getting RCS I read that since they were bred as pets they are much hardier of a species. Ghost shrimp were bred for food so they are a lot more sensitive to water parameters.

Amano shrimp are also very popular! Either way, bettas might like the snack. I keep my shrimp in their own tank bc they wouldn't last very long with my savages!! Good luck!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #3 
JayPe3

I have ghost shrimp, so far so good.
I put 1 in by himself over the weekend, and I found him dead today.
We'll see how the 2 I put in the tank survive, if unsuccessful I'll probably go with cherry shrimp.
JayPe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #4 
SilverWolf

I'll give the cherry shrimp a shot! DH wants to see Fang attack something, so if he goes for a snack then that's life! Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #5 
Laki

haha, np. Ghosts are much cheaper for serving the purpose of food. A large cherry shrimp might be too big or quick for the betta so it will be a show of a hunt. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #6 
JayPe3

What I did was put the shrimp while still in the fish store sandwich bag in the tank for a while, let Birdee cure his curiosity without harming the shrimp.
After about 2.5 hours, I put the shrimp into a bowl, scooped them out of the dirty ass LFS water, and quickly stuck the net all the way to the bottom of the tank when Birdee was at the other end of the tank.
He didn't really bother with them. When he chases the shrimp, they're actually retarded fast, and he just gives up.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #7 
SilverWolf

Hahahaahah!! Well, Fang is still new and adjusting to his surroundings. I feel really bad cause we got him and the tank the same day. Today we got some soil, sand, plants, and wood to make him feel more at home! Everything is pretty well set up - ish.. Hopefully I didn't do too many things wrong! I'll get him some shrimp friends soon!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #8 
Kwomais

I love my cherries. Alpha mostly leaves them alone, once in a while he'll give a little chase as if to remind the Jaquescleans who's boss haha. But otherwise he pretty much leaves them alone and they do a pretty decent job of keeping things clean. They've also started reproducing! It should be noted, however that my tank is moderate-heavily planted and has a layer of suBwassertang along the tank floor, as well as many other hiding places.
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #9 
JayPe3

Silver- what type of wood did you get?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #10 
SilverWolf

It's a chunk of Malaysian Wood. I've got it soaking now to release some of the tannins and will do some boiling tomorrow. My goal is to 'wrap' it in plants/moss to cover the sharpies on it so it doesn't shred him. I've broken off a lot of the sharps already.