Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #1 
ashleigheperry

Still hasn't eaten - help?

I know some bettas go up to a week without eating when they first come home but I'm worried about mine. He's totally uninterested in food (won't even look at it) after almost four days. He's not paying attention to bloodworms, pellets, or anything else. And he's a skinny little thing. Is there a chance his filter is too strong? His pellets do sink rather quickly.

Or should I just give him a bit more time?
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #2 
Saphira101

Have you tried crushing them? They could be too big. Maybe he doesn't notice them? I got a juvie HM once and had to cup him at each feeding for the first week just so he'd NOTICE the pellet. Or maybe you could soak it in garlic juice?? I've heard of other members doing that. I guess it makes the food super irresistible or something... New life spectrum Betta pellets are pre-soaked in garlic juice, you could give that a try...

Good luck! ~Saphira
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #3 
Syriiven

The garlic makes it easier to find by scent once it gets into the water column of the tank, so it might help.

I've gotten into the habit of feeding my guys by hand so that they actually do find the food, but a recent garlic recipie has made them find it everytime. I can walk away and come back and find it all gone.

But yea, I'g go the garlic method or try to find some NLS.

Does he ever come to the surface when you feed him?
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #4 
ashleigheperry

Thanks for the quick replies, guys!
I have tried crushing flakes, pellets, etc.
I've dropped them right on top of them and he totally ignores all offers. He doesn't usually rise to the surface during feeding and even when he does he only seems to do so because he's curious about me. I'll try cupping him and then I'll try the garlic trick as well.

Any other tips? He was already so slender when I brought him home - I'm worried he doesn't have very many days left to go without eating.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #5 
Syriiven

Just keep trying =) And let us know how it goes!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

See if you can cultivate some mosquito larvae. It's a very fussy betta who can resist the natural call of live, wriggly food.

Leave a bucket full of still water outside for 5-7 days. At this point, you should notice some wriggly black worm things - these are basically live bloodworms. If you can pick them up gently with tweezers, trying not to crush them, give them a little dip in garlic juice, then try and catch his attention by bringing them within his line of sight (still using the tweezers) he'll hopefully give them a go.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #7 
ashleigheperry

HE ATE! Made the thread a day too soon. He's still shy/fearful, so I just waited for him to come to the surface and dropped a few pellets right in front of his face and backed off. He got at least one or two down!

Thank you for all the help and support, everyone!

@Bombalurina: Thank you for the advice! I think it may be too cold right now to do that, but I'm keeping my eye out for a small live food source. He's still a very tentative eater and I want to try and get him fattened up!