Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #1 
KwLDeL

Change in my betas behavior, is it a warning sign?

The first 2 week I had Masuka he was making bubble nest daly but after reading up on them I felt bad that I had him in a 1 1/2 gallon tank so I bought a 3 gallon tank he has been in his new home for 5 days now and does not make bubble nest anymore is this a warning sign I should be concerned about? Also I wanted to get a bubble stone but read that they like calm water and the stone would make him stressed, is this true of could i still get a small one for the tank? Also what type of items would make him happy i have 2 plants a little rock cave and a leaf hammock ( which he loves) is this enough to keep him occupied or are there other items he would enjoy and his tank? Lastly I have a moss ball but didnt put it up in the tank yet are they ok for betta fish ?
KwLDeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #2 
popcorndeer

if you have a zoomed betta bed you have to take the metal out of it
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

My Butch has made bubble nests sporadically. He's been in a 2.5 filtered/heated bettabow for a few months, and hasn't made a nest in quite a while. He made his 1st nest after I got rid of his 2 mystery snails- he did NOT like them, in fact, one whirled it's shell around & bonked him in the head! I took the snails back to the store, and he immediately built a nest, and kept it up for a couple of weeks. He hasn't built a nest in a few weeks now, so he's getting an upgrade to a divided 10 gallon this week, so we'll see what happens. I have another male currently in that 10 gal. He can't build a nest b/c the filter to that tank is too strong. I've tried the DIY baffle (on this board somewhere), but it doesn't work on that particuar filter. That baffle works fine on my larger Fluval. I need to find a solution so the boys can be happy.
I take the non-nest building is a sign something is bothering them emotionally (I know that sounds silly). If they were sick, they'd be displaying more dramatic symptoms. I think Butch is bored, and some ramshorn snails bred in his filter (I changed it). Given his attitude toward snails, I'm not surprised he's mad at me ;0) Time for larger, snail-free digs!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Bubble nests don't necessarily indicate 'happiness.' They are an attempt to attract females. So don't worry if he isn't building one. He may be too busy exploring his new home.

How often do you do water changes? A 3 gallon tank with no filter should get one 100% and one 50% water change per week.

Also, what's the water temperature? Bettas are tropical fish, and prefer temps of about 78-80F.

Moss balls are fine. A lot of people on this forum have them.

You could get a bubbler, if you want. Bettas don't need them though, since they breathe air from the surface. And if you get one, set it up so that it doesn't make lots of bubbles and push the little guy around.

As for plants, caves, etc., it depends on the individual fish. I have one male who loves caves and hiding places, so he has lots of them in his tank. I have another who ignores caves but loves plants, so his tank has lots of his favorite plants. And I have a female who is only interested in her betta hammock, so she has two.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-05-2013 at 07:30 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #5 
KwLDeL

Great info thank you, ok so you put my mind at ease about Masuka not making bubble nest for the time being. I do have a sponge filter so I guess I'll pass on the bubble rock. I can't thank you enough for your time and info
Have a great day
Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Is Masuka the fish in your avatar? Beautiful colors!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #7 
KwLDeL

Yea that's my baby :) thank you very much
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #8 
Xaltd1

Where did you find him?
Just when I think my fish are the prettiest, them I see a YUMMY fish like yours!
He makes me want to grab my watercolors & do a painting...
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote