Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #1 
LissaLooHoo

Please help. Please. Do I euthanize her?):

Hello. I have a fish named Maralynn who somehow got out of her tank last night. She was already in a hospital tank for ick. It's covered. I have no clue how she got out. I found her this morning and put her in water and she popped back up and is staying at the top. My euthnizatuon contemplation is that she would be completely blind on her right side, and I'm unsure if she acquired any other issues. I am truly heartbroken because she is my little buddy, but I do not want her to live in pain. Thank you for the help.
LissaLooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #2 
GoodMorning

I've had fishes jumped out before and most times they do recover. Just keep her a little bit longer and see if she gets better, i'm sure she will.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #3 
Tabbie82

This is a hard one for me to answer. Two weeks ago my Maui was not doing well at all. He was floating on his side, belly bloated, gills barely moving, and every hour or so he flopped around hard. I was making plans to euthanize. I thought several times that he had passed. After doing research and talking it over with family, since he is my baby, I decided to wait a day. He had already been like that for a day when I made that decision. So after two days of him looking dead, I woke up to him swimming around happily, back to his normal self. I have no clue what happened. I am glad I didn't euthanize and I am hopeful he will live a few more happy years. I've even moved since then and he made the 14 hour drive just fine. He is doing great now. That being said, I know how hard it is to watch them struggle and how painful a decision this can be. I don't know your fish and her background like you do. I read this article: http://nippyfish.net/2007/02/12/euth...aquarium-fish/

And it helped. Maui was not able to right himself when he was like that, but he still showed signs that he was fighting. He even ate food pellets that I dropped near him. So, I can't tell you what is right, but maybe this information helps some. I feel for you and Maralynn. I wish you the best and just know that you are being the greatest fish parent she could have asked for.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #4 
LissaLooHoo

I'm hoping she'll make it. She survived getting stuck in a bubbler and she made it out and she's still a little crooked. But she made it. She's been through the ringer as far as getting in little accidents, and she still makes it. So I'm praying she will.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #5 
Tabbie82

Oh, and also, to comment on her being blind- My Feng is a dragon scale and his scales are growing over his eyes. He is fully blind in one eye. He is a happy, healthy little guy and the only thing I have to do is feed him on his good side or get his attention and point to the food. A fish being blind isn't a death sentence for them. But, again, you have to make the decision based on what you know and what will be best for your fish.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #6 
LissaLooHoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie82 View Post
This is a hard one for me to answer. Two weeks ago my Maui was not doing well at all. He was floating on his side, belly bloated, gills barely moving, and every hour or so he flopped around hard. I was making plans to euthanize. I thought several times that he had passed. After doing research and talking it over with family, since he is my baby, I decided to wait a day. He had already been like that for a day when I made that decision. So after two days of him looking dead, I woke up to him swimming around happily, back to his normal self. I have no clue what happened. I am glad I didn't euthanize and I am hopeful he will live a few more happy years. I've even moved since then and he made the 14 hour drive just fine. He is doing great now. That being said, I know how hard it is to watch them struggle and how painful a decision this can be. I don't know your fish and her background like you do. I read this article: http://nippyfish.net/2007/02/12/euth...aquarium-fish/

And it helped. Maui was not able to right himself when he was like that, but he still showed signs that he was fighting. He even ate food pellets that I dropped near him. So, I can't tell you what is right, but maybe this information helps some. I feel for you and Maralynn. I wish you the best and just know that you are being the greatest fish parent she could have asked for.
I cannot thank you enough for that. It made me feel good. She is auch an amazing little girl, and has always been my little girl. I've taken such good care of her and she always perks up when I'm around, and I absolutely love her. I pray she will get better. Thank you so much for the encouraging words.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #7 
Tabbie82

She sounds like a little fighter!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #8 
LissaLooHoo

She is a a little fighter and has absolutely always made it. Do you suggest any water additives to help her with recovery?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #9 
Tabbie82

Honestly, I don't have much experience with using a lot of the medications. I have used aquarium salt in the past. I try not to put a lot of chemicals in their water. Maui was being treated for a fungal infection when he got like that. I used aquarium salt and did water changes daily.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #10 
LissaLooHoo

Thank you for those who helped. Maralynn has passed on. I'm heartbroken. But know I did everything for her. Thank you for support.