Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #1 
3k00rb

Talking First time betta mom!

Hi everyone!

Just a quick intro - I am an animal lover and have had all sorts of animals (dogs, cats, ferrets, rabbits, chickens, goats) but haven't had much experience with fish since my childhood days when I had goldfish. I have been playing with the idea of starting an aquarium with my boyfriend, when one day as a surprise he dug out his old betta bowl and set it up on my desk to get the ball rolling. That night I was searching the internet about betta care and found this website, and what a great wealth of knowledge it has been! We went to the pet store the next day. I was just planning on looking at larger aquariums since I didn't want my fish in a bowl, but then I saw the little guy and knew I had to take him home! I picked up my betta (Fred) and some food that night and off we went back to the house. He is living in his temporary home until I find a bigger tank for him. Even though it's small he seems happy in the bowl as it was surely and upgrade from the cup he was in.

Here he is:

3k00rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #2 
waterdog

Welcome to Bettas R Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the bowl is very temporary since it has no heat. Daily water changes will be required. Also, I would take out about half of the stones. He needs every ounce of space he can get in there!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #3 
Fishy Mom

Uh oh, you've been bitten by the betta bug. Get ready to start spoiling your little guy. First, you say he needs a bigger tank & then of course you'll think how much he would love a new hidey spot, some plants, & treats. Next thing you know he's in a 10g with live plants & a few tank mates, lol.

Congrats on the new boy. He looks beautiful.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #4 
Tabbie82

Hi! Welcome! Congratulations on Fred. He is a looker! I love crowntails! Can't wait to see pictures of his new home once you have it set up. Glad to have you here.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #5 
3k00rb

Thanks guys!

Waterdog- In the picture it looks like there are a lot of stones, but it's just distortion from the bowl. There's actually very few stones in the bowl and he has plenty of room to stretch out. But I should be getting my new tank today (between 3-5 gallons) complete with heater!

And yes, I've definitely been bitten.. I'm already looking up information on live plants. His new tank might be a little sparce for a while, but once I learn the ropes it's probably going to look like a aquatic palace
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #6 
Tabbie82

Oooohhh.... Aquatic palace sounds nice! Don't let my fish hear about this. They will swim over to your place and never come back!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #7 
TwilightNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie82 View Post
Oooohhh.... Aquatic palace sounds nice! Don't let my fish hear about this. They will swim over to your place and never come back!

+1! My fish just like in Finding Nemo when I clean the divided 10 gallon and the 1.5 gallon hospital tank they will flop away into the magical Betta palace lol! All my neighbors will think I'm crazy as I'm chasing after my fish as the flop/however the move to get away in their holding cup away from me!
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you, enjoy your stay....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #9 
spongebobthebetta

Well hi people my name is Felicia and this is spongebob he is a halfmoon double tail bought from petco he is super funny and super spoiled

spongebobthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #10 
3k00rb

Here's the beginnings of his new 3 gallon palace!