Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #11 
ashleigheperry

Chinese ivy smells lovely and I adore it, but I've only had it for a few days now. I'll let you know how it goes. I really like it so far, but it does seem like it might get messy if you let it grow free form.
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #12 
Catie79

I'll add into the chorus of 'yay pennywort!'. I have it in two tanks and the bettas love it. It grows easily, it's neater than a lot of floating plants, and it makes a great hammock for resting fish.

I also have the bacopa in three different tanks, all with different lighting situations. In my high light/CO2 tank, it's gorgeous with big leaves and a solid rate of growth. In my medium light tank, it's growing slower but with nice leaves. In the low light it's crawling, but healthy. It's a slower growing stem, which is nice compared to some that you have to trim twice a week in my high light tank. If you get it from a store, you may get the emersed form which has little leaves. It grows in bigger, lighter colored leaves that I love.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #13 
Friendlyfishies

Thank you everyone! Very informative! Plus beautiful photos! Its a big help to see the plants in a real aquarium rather than on the sale website, so hard to tell what they really look like from the adds. I ended up doing a bit more research before placing my order. I've decided to start out with loads of pennywort, 5 bunches, probably way over kill but I wasnt sure how many stems came in a bunch so id rather have too much than not enough..seems like an easy going plant, I like the way it fills in & grows all wild and bright green. I also bought two bunches of mint charlie and two bunches of lemon bacopa, we'll see how they do, they seemed a little more sensitive so I didnt want to get too much of it to start out. Should be here mid week so for the time being Im going to set the tank up with my eco complete sand and make sure it all ready for planting when they arrive. My betta will be so happy...ive had him since August 2012 and we've been up and down with plant life and switching tanks...poor guys been moved several times lol. 5 gallons to 6 gallon, to a hospital bowl for fin damage, to a 3 gal to a 10 gal to a 20 gal long and now back to his 10 gal lol. Hes a trooper but he honestly doesnt seem to care. I love having him in my 20 gallon long but all my plants died due to not having a decent plant light on it and its sooo pricey to upgrade, id rather move him back to a 10 gal that has fantastic plant lights and spend the money on nice plants for him :) ...he'll be psyched when its all ready and so will I!

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 03-09-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #14 
Agility4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
I have a 10 gallon im going to be planting for a single betta. I have 2 6500k flourecant plant bulbs, dose with flourish excel, flourish root tabs and I will have eco plant substrate mixed with black sand and black gravel. Ph 8.0

Im looking to plant these plants in my tank...

Chinese Ivy
Lemon Bacopa
Mint Charlie
Brazilian Pennywort
Rotala Indica

Thoughts? Experiences? Photos would be a great help.

What I do is google the plants and then click on the images link and you can see individual pictures or certain set ups in tanks.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #15 
Friendlyfishies

I usually do, but for some reason I couldnt find any photos of these plants in particular that were clear enough for me to judge wether I liked the plant or not so seeing them from you guys was much more helpful :) but yes google is a great thing! Very informative photos there as well.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #16 
Agility4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
I usually do, but for some reason I couldnt find any photos of these plants in particular that were clear enough for me to judge wether I liked the plant or not so seeing them from you guys was much more helpful :) but yes google is a great thing! Very informative photos there as well.
Someone in another thread posted this great link that shows names and pictures in a neat list:

http://www.aquahobby.com/e_aquarium_plants.php
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #17 
Friendlyfishies

That looks like great website! Thanks for sharing :D
Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #18 
funkman262

Bacopa Caroliniana:
Name:  P1020898.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  90.0 KB