Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

My Java Ferns always die...

Im debating trying Java ferns again but in my experience they always die on me. Ive tried both java and tropical fern....tropical did a bit better but still struggled. I thought these plants were easy keepers like anubias?

My reading are always 0 in my uncycled tank, I dose ferts and have 6500k lights. Ph is 8.0.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #2 
valen1014

Did you make sure not to burry the rhizome? Maybe the pH. 8 seems a bit high What did they look like before they died?

That's really strange... They are quite hardy, I mean I haven't killed mine and I suck with plants XD it must be something obvious.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

It always puzzled me as well as that is what ive heard. I usually tied them to a rock with an elastic band or string. They would start off green, then over the course of maybe between 2 and 3 months they would develop brown spots and rot from the root up quickly. The smallest leaves would wilt and turn to brownish goo, then the larger ones, I usually tossed them when the root went so they werent adding to the bio load, but generaly 70% of the plant looked brown spotty and rotted.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

most plants love hard water, but I find that java fern is not one of those, that on top of high light and high temps, mine straight dissolved. lol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #5 
fish keeper 2013

did you throw the leaves away as soon as you saw the brown spots? Im pretty sure most cases of brown spots are spores for reproduction. The daughter plants grow from the spores and consume the old leaf, but your brown spots might be different cause.

Are the spots just 2D spots or do they bulge out? Do they start out as black 2D spots? If the answer is yes they are probally spores
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #6 
PaulO

Well that explains a lot...I thought my plants were suffering first from green spot algae and then alien/parasitic invaders when fuzzy brown tentacles emerged from the bottoms of the LEAVES!!!
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

^lol!!!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote