Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #1 
TylerLovesFish

Betta laying at bottom of tank.

My betta keeps laying down at the bottom of the tank after swimming around for about 15 minutes. Sometimes gets back up after about a minute and swims some more. There if no baffle on the filter currently

He's a long tailed tail male.

Housing no decorations except a big shell
What size is your tank? 5.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Sticker thermometer says 76.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food fish flakes at the moment
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Only that until I can get brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance 20% changes
How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Yes (yesterday, API Master kit)
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
pH: 7.8
Hardness: Unknown
Alkalinity: Unkown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not really,
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? kind of lazy, still flares at its reflection
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not really (except prime since it's cycling)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unkown
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 3 days since I got him.
TylerLovesFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

IMO, there are 2 things that are an issue . . . temp & filter current. I would get a hang in tank thermometer & baffle the filter (depending on filter type). You can test if its the filter by turning it off for an hour or so & see how he behaves. The stick on thermometers are less accurate than an in tank one, 76F is on the brink of too cold; I suggest an adjustable heater to bring the temp up to 78-80F. Oh, I would do a 50% water change to get the ammo to 0, your tank appears to be cycling so do a 50% water change when you see ammonia or nitrites .25 or higher.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #3 
TylerLovesFish

I thought it's good to have no nitrites, small ammonia and good nitrates on a cycling tank?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #4 
TylerLovesFish

Could he possibly be trying to sleep?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #5 
Laki

No, his behaviour is irregular. Sleeping bettas kind of lean on things and look as if they're day dreaming, no spazzing.

Temp might be a factor, bettas are most comfortable in 79-81F. The sticker thermometers, I don't know what it is with those- I had one on one of my second hand tanks and it always read at least 5 degrees off of the floating therm. I think the room temp affects it, whereas the floating ones is all water.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #6 
TylerLovesFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
No, his behaviour is irregular. Sleeping bettas kind of lean on things and look as if they're day dreaming, no spazzing.

Temp might be a factor, bettas are most comfortable in 79-81F. The sticker thermometers, I don't know what it is with those- I had one on one of my second hand tanks and it always read at least 5 degrees off of the floating therm. I think the room temp affects it, whereas the floating ones is all water.
Would it be 5 degrees warmer or colder?

I mean, he's very active, then goes to the bottom tries to find the smallest spot, and leans on the glass.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #7 
Laki

Both. During a water change and being empty it looked 5 degrees warmer and then filled with water and heated and set back up it was 5 degrees colder than the actual water temp.

By "long finned" male do you mean veiltail? He might be resting momentarily if he is really active. He might be resting from the filter output and struggling to stay afloat. What's the filter output like? All you need is an elastic band and piece of new sponge to baffle the flow.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #8 
TylerLovesFish

he keeps laying down with his fins all out. He moves a bit sometimes. He's leaning on the glass. after about 30 seconds to a min he moves. If i touch the glass he'll move.

Can I use the betta cup top to baffle it?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLovesFish View Post
I thought it's good to have no nitrites, small ammonia and good nitrates on a cycling tank?
If you didn't have a fish in the tank I'd agree with having some ammonia. .25 isn't horrendous but 0 is better. As previously stated if you want to determine if the filter is too much for him turn it off for a bit, it won't mess up your cycling effort. I honestly think you have two issues, temp & current.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #10 
TylerLovesFish

Alright :) But as i said, i put my hand up to wall and he'll move around.
he goes to a corner of the tank and goes down as far as he can in the gravel.

I put prime in there earlier today, a tiny bit, then did a 20% change with some more prime.