Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 
Nowaykittay

Unhappy Tank troubles

I'm getting extremely frustrated with my 2.5 g tank. Ive gone on other forums when googling betta questions and I've gotten yelled at for having such a small tank I feel awful if its too small but I've also heard its fine for just one betta I'm just not sure. Bubblegum seems happy, he's very active, takes naps on his leaf and heater, he blows huge bubble nests, he's constantly rolling the algae ball around his tank, but I really worry its just not enough space. Ive looked for silk plants but I can't seem to find any that don't have exposed metal so I buy him real plants and I got that stupid red bridge that does nothing but take up precious space. I feel like an awful fish momma and I think I'm in over my head with such a small tank. No matter how many water changes I do the water stays cloudy (hence the marimo ball) and it drives me nuts. If I didn't have mollies and platties in the 20 g I'd move him to that tank I've thought of adding a snail or shrimp to help with the cloudiness but I don't know if that would just take away more of his space. Please help!
Attached Images

Nowaykittay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #2 
VJM

Do you have a test kit? What are your water parameters?

A 2.5 seems like it can be fine, it just demands more monitoring and water changes.

Ignore people who yell at you instead of help. You obviously care a lot, and that is a great place to start.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #3 
waterdog

First let me say you won't get yelled at here. I have a 2.5 and a perfectly happy betta in it.
Second) I see you have a heater and thermometer. Excellent. I can only assume you are keeping it between 78-80 degrees?
Third) If you don't like the bridge, take it out. Not a big deal either way.
Fourth) I have no idea what the purpose of the glass jar is. If it where me, I'd take it out and lay the pot down if you want a cave. (make sure to plug the hole in the bottom so betta doesn't get trapped)
Lastly - what you are probably experiencing is ammonia spikes due to the tank not being cycled. If you want the best enviroment for your betta (and I think you do or you wouldn't be here) I would put a sponge filter in it. Once the tank is cycled you will only have to do a 50% water change once a week. Less stress on both of you. If you want to learn more about sponge filters, click the link in my signature.

Couple of side notes. Do not add anything to his tank animal wise. 2.5 is great for a betta by himself, but no 'roomates'.
Also, if your going to do live plants (and you should) you may want to consider better lighting than the lamp next to it. A flouresent desk lamp over it would work if you have it.

I usually don't put pics in other peoples threads, but I am hoping this will help calm your fears so we can get you right! Anyone who tells you that a 2.5 can't be cycled has no clue what they are talking about. Just to make the point, I'm including a pic of my 2.5 bowfront that is cycled, gets one 50% water change a week, has live plants (and getting more), a 10 watt flouresent bulb, and one of the fiestiest bettas you ever saw!
Attached Images

waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #4 
Nowaykittay

My boyfriend tests the 20 g religiously and I've watched him do it but I don't want to chance reading something wrong so I took a water sample to petsmart last week. My ammonia and nitrites were 0 and my nitrate was around 5 because my towns water is sort of hard. I've heard that this is okay for betta fish but I'm not really sure. I think the 20 g is pretty much the same but its never cloudy. Then again that has a filter and bottom feeders (albino cory cats) so that's probably why :/
Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #5 
Nowaykittay

Also the glass jar has some grass stuff (forgot the name but its in another thread I posted) and for some reason my betta really likes sitting in there even though its clear no clue why. Also the pot is for a plant that I haven't yet gotten (probably java fern) because its too small for him to hide in. But your tank looks amazing! I'm really interested in these spong filters as well
Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #6 
waterdog

The filter has the big tank cycled is why. To properly cycle a tank you need one of two things (preferably both) a filter to give a place for benifical bacteria to grow and/or a few live plants if you have a filter or a whole lot of live plants if there is no filter.
You can order a sponge filter on ebay for about $3.50 including shipping. If you don't have an air pump, you can get one for about $11. I just ordered a set for a office coworker that wanted a betta at work like I have.

You either need a filter and let the tank cycle, or due to the small amount of water, you need to do about 3 water changes a week.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #7 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaykittay View Post
Also the glass jar has some grass stuff (forgot the name but its in another thread I posted) and for some reason my betta really likes sitting in there even though its clear no clue why. Also the pot is for a plant that I haven't yet gotten (probably java fern) because its too small for him to hide in. But your tank looks amazing! I'm really interested in these spong filters as well
He wants to be in the live plants is why he is going in there.
Most of us get big leaved plants for them as they like to sleep in them.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #8 
Nowaykittay

I have a leafless Anubis tangled around the bridge. It's a clipping from the larger Anubis in the community tank (btw I have no idea if I'm spelling that plant name correctly) and it had a leaf but It got snagged when I was transferring it to the little tank so I'm hoping it will grow back. The roots are definitely growing so fingers crossed. I also plan on getting some fishing line and tying the grass to the outside of the jar as was suggested in another thread. The grass has grown substantially since I've bought it so I'd say I'll try tying it in about a week. I've also thought about doing something similar with the marimo ball. Maybe breaking it open and tying it to the outside of the terra cotta pot or the bridge. I really just want to tear this tank down and get a 10 gallon and make my life easier. Then I could even get more f my beloved cory cats. But until I have the money this will have to do :/ the sponge filter should really help though. I'd never heard of it till now !
Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #9 
tekkguy

Quote:
For what it's worth, I think the glass jar is awesome. Yeah, it doesn't serve much of a purpose as far as hiding goes, but I still think it's great. I'd probably fill it with moss so that there's some hiding going on.

I just think it looks cool, I guess.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #10 
waterdog

Quote:
the sponge filter should really help though. I'd never heard of it till now !
Unless your seriously into fish keeping most people don't know about them cause most big pet stores don't carry them. Probably cause there is more profit in the expensive power filters.