Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #11 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
For what it's worth, I think the glass jar is awesome. Yeah, it doesn't serve much of a purpose as far as hiding goes, but I still think it's great. I'd probably fill it with moss so that there's some hiding going on.

I just think it looks cool, I guess.
thanks! i think its pretty cool and the moss is a great idea. it would probably be softer on his belly too :)
Nowaykittay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #12 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Unless your seriously into fish keeping most people don't know about them cause most big pet stores don't carry them. Probably cause there is more profit in the expensive power filters.
is it possible to make your own sponge filter? i have an air pump for the 20g that is never used.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #13 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaykittay View Post
is it possible to make your own sponge filter? i have an air pump for the 20g that is never used.
Yes. Like I said, click on the link in my signature and on the first page I even have a DIY section that tells you how to make your own!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #14 
Freyja
Banned

I think 2.5g get a bad rep. I have two and I love them. I have one 2.5 mini bow at work that's planted and cycled. I do one 50% water change weekly. I have the same one you have, for my home betta, a small Double tail HM male. That tank is filter-less and has some floating lace fern so it gets 2 50% water changes per week and parameters remain steady and safe.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #15 
Nowaykittay

thanks for all the info. i think im going to buy the Marineland Duetto Multi-Function Internal Filters (sold at petco) which got decent reviews and is super cheap. if i get it and it sucks ill try making my own but i dont want to risk messing it up somehow. im sure this will help immensely with water quality so thank you so much!
i guess i just feel like this is a really crappy tank which is frustrating since i put in a lot of time and money and im not sure what i can do. if i had the space/$$ i would definitely upgrade him. im glad people on this forum are so supportive but it really stings when i look other places and see people saying i dont even deserve to have bubblegum and that hes suffering in 2.5g of water :( i do a lot of research before getting any fish and i feel like i dropped the ball with this little guy. im certainly going to go back to petsmart and get more live plants. the java fern in the 20g is making tons of baby ferns so im gonna transfer a few into the 2.5 g. hopefully this will improve things :/
Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #16 
VJM

Yay for live plants! Definitely look at your lights in that case. I have a desk lamp with a Colormax bulb over my 2.5 g, and that seems to be fine. It is super densely planted, and everything is growing. Mine is dirt capped by sand, so you may need root tabs or liquid fertilizer like Flourish.

Bubblegum (great name) is beautiful, and lucky to have an owner like you.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #17 
Bombalurina

Nowaykittay, you worry way too much! :p It is good to be careful about your fish, but don't worry so much that you can't enjoy the experience. :) You won't stuff up reading your own tests (if you are concerned, post a photo of the results on here and ask for confirmation), and I would advise doing it because, to be honest, the people in the petshop are probably not doing as wel as you.
You also can't stuff up making your own sponge filter. :) It is really easy and it is one of the most effective forms of biological filtration there is.

As for people on other forums, I have found them to be extremely dogmatic. They stick to the belief that 5 gallons is the absolute minimum even when people here have proven over and over again that is isn't. Bettas can enjoy the space in a 2.5 gallon just as happily as in a 5 gallon, and even a one gallon has the biological capacity for a single betta if done well - just look at OldFishLady, one of our most experienced members, who keeps a number of bettas in one gallons. My personal favourite is a 5 gal, but that's just because I prefer the look, the space to decorate and the extra filtration capacity. :) Larger tanks have the advantage of more stability, but that's true of a 100gallon over a 20 gallon as much of as a 5 gal over a 2.5 gal. So do not stress about what other people say. Bubblegum is clearly healthy, being well-cared for and has a lovely tank that he must enjoy exploring. Your water quality speaks for itself - your readings are the same as my 16 gallon. :)
If people on other forums are making you unhappy, leave. :)

One thing I would suggest is getting some fast-growing plants. The faster a plant grows, the more it sucks up ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. If you keep it trimmed, it won't take up too much space, but will give your betta another thing to explore and hide it. :) I would suggest lacefern, ambulia, wisteria, anacharis or hornwort. They all grow very fast and are very easy to take care of. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #18 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Yay for live plants! Definitely look at your lights in that case. I have a desk lamp with a Colormax bulb over my 2.5 g, and that seems to be fine. It is super densely planted, and everything is growing. Mine is dirt capped by sand, so you may need root tabs or liquid fertilizer like Flourish.

Bubblegum (great name) is beautiful, and lucky to have an owner like you.
thank you so much :) thats so nice to hear after all the nasty things people have said (which i understand since some people who get bettas can be misinformed on care)
i really was interested in setting up a *real* planted tank with organic dirt then sand then gravel but im afraid ill muck it up. is it really difficult? ive always loved terrariums because theyre self sustaining and ive read that a well done planted tank is the same. if i were to do this i could probably transfer bubblegum back to his bowl while the planted tank settled in. do you know how long this takes usually?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #19 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Nowaykittay, you worry way too much! :p It is good to be careful about your fish, but don't worry so much that you can't enjoy the experience. :) You won't stuff up reading your own tests (if you are concerned, post a photo of the results on here and ask for confirmation), and I would advise doing it because, to be honest, the people in the petshop are probably not doing as wel as you.
You also can't stuff up making your own sponge filter. :) It is really easy and it is one of the most effective forms of biological filtration there is.

As for people on other forums, I have found them to be extremely dogmatic. They stick to the belief that 5 gallons is the absolute minimum even when people here have proven over and over again that is isn't. Bettas can enjoy the space in a 2.5 gallon just as happily as in a 5 gallon, and even a one gallon has the biological capacity for a single betta if done well - just look at OldFishLady, one of our most experienced members, who keeps a number of bettas in one gallons. My personal favourite is a 5 gal, but that's just because I prefer the look, the space to decorate and the extra filtration capacity. :) Larger tanks have the advantage of more stability, but that's true of a 100gallon over a 20 gallon as much of as a 5 gal over a 2.5 gal. So do not stress about what other people say. Bubblegum is clearly healthy, being well-cared for and has a lovely tank that he must enjoy exploring. Your water quality speaks for itself - your readings are the same as my 16 gallon. :)
If people on other forums are making you unhappy, leave. :)

One thing I would suggest is getting some fast-growing plants. The faster a plant grows, the more it sucks up ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. If you keep it trimmed, it won't take up too much space, but will give your betta another thing to explore and hide it. :) I would suggest lacefern, ambulia, wisteria, anacharis or hornwort. They all grow very fast and are very easy to take care of. :)
thank you for the support :) this is by far my favourite forum for that reason. do you know where i could buy these plants? petsmarts selection is pretty limited
Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #20 
VJM

You have come to the right place for easy to follow instructions on natural planted tanks (NPTs). If you click on the Planted Tank subforum, there are a series of stickies on exactly how to do it. I was utterly clueless, and I managed to do it with zero stress. It is basically just organic dirt with a cap of sand. Lay down the dirt to specific thickness, cap with clean sand, fill gently, change water until clear, plant, and fill one last time. Easy, and enjoyable!

My only mistake was not making the cap thick enough in one tank, so it's a bit messy. i fixed that this morning with a cupful of sand, in five minutes.

It's really easy to grow plants this way, and it looks terrific. Bubblegum will love it. Go check out the stickies.

I get plants from online, Petco, the classified section here, local aquarium stores, and on other forums. I am kind of a plant freak.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote