Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #21 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
You have come to the right place for easy to follow instructions on natural planted tanks (NPTs). If you click on the Planted Tank subforum, there are a series of stickies on exactly how to do it. I was utterly clueless, and I managed to do it with zero stress. It is basically just organic dirt with a cap of sand. Lay down the dirt to specific thickness, cap with clean sand, fill gently, change water until clear, plant, and fill one last time. Easy, and enjoyable!

My only mistake was not making the cap thick enough in one tank, so it's a bit messy. i fixed that this morning with a cupful of sand, in five minutes.

It's really easy to grow plants this way, and it looks terrific. Bubblegum will love it. Go check out the stickies.

I get plants from online, Petco, the classified section here, local aquarium stores, and on other forums. I am kind of a plant freak.
THANK YOU! i feel very inspired now! im applying for a job at a plant nursery this spring so the organic soil would be easy to get and theres like 10 lbs of leftover sand from the 20g tank. i didnt even know about the subforum im so excited now because he really loves his plants (what fish doesnt?) thanks again!
Nowaykittay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #22 
Nowaykittay

i just reached in and moved the red bridge and it was super disgustingly slimey! my fish loves it for some reason so i didnt want to take it out but could it be leeching stuff into the tank? i just got it yesterday and spent like $8 on it so im really hoping its just an algae bloom or something :/
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #23 
Bombalurina

Slimy is ok, in my book. All ceramic things in my tank are slimy. It's just algae and not harmful. :) You can rinse it in clean dechlorinated water if you don't like the slime.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #24 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Slimy is ok, in my book. All ceramic things in my tank are slimy. It's just algae and not harmful. :) You can rinse it in clean dechlorinated water if you don't like the slime.
okay good! if he doesnt mind the slime then i see no reason to get rid of it :) i still wish id bought i cave instead but oh well
Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #25 
Agility4fun

Hey Nowaykittay,

Don't you listen to those critics...2.5g tanks are awesome! There is so much you can do with them. I'm experimenting with plants and there are so many opportunities to put together a great environment in a smaller setting.

Here's one of my tanks from last week. I have a few new pieces to add when I change the water tomorrow.

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=35529

FWIW, I do a 75% water change two times a week and I have a filter that came with the tank that is baffled on the intake and outtake and makes for more comfortable swimming for the fish.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #26 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility4fun View Post
Hey Nowaykittay,

Don't you listen to those critics...2.5g tanks are awesome! There is so much you can do with them. I'm experimenting with plants and there are so many opportunities to put together a great environment in a smaller setting.

Here's one of my tanks from last week. I have a few new pieces to add when I change the water tomorrow.

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=35529

FWIW, I do a 75% water change two times a week and I have a filter that came with the tank that is baffled on the intake and outtake and makes for more comfortable swimming for the fish.
your water is so clear! it looks fantastic. and that filter is so small and discrete! do you remember where you got that tank/ what its called? i basically have to be dragged away from the bettas at petsmart and if thats a kit maybe i can finally get another betta in the future
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #27 
Agility4fun

There are complete kits at Petco and Petsmart. Mine is a Marina 2.65 "goldfish" kit. Look for a sale, sometimes they can be as low as 19.99.

LOL...I think the filter is a monstrosity, but the plants help to camouflage it.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #28 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility4fun View Post
There are complete kits at Petco and Petsmart. Mine is a Marina 2.65 "goldfish" kit. Look for a sale, sometimes they can be as low as 19.99.

LOL...I think the filter is a monstrosity, but the plants help to camouflage it.
It's better than the giant noisy one I almost bought :p that thing was hideous. But wow that's bigger and cheaper than I expected! I need to look into that. Bettas are kind of addicting... It's really hard to just walk away from them at the store :/
Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #29 
Bombalurina

And eventually you'll end up spending time there not buying anything for fun. :p Or lurking and advising customers!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #30 
Agility4fun

Here's my re-scaped tank after today's additions. Still looks empty ,although it felt like a lot when I was working on it.

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=35791