Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes some believe t.hat males fed during egg/fry rearing will induce egg/fry eating. Regardless what we believe, most males wont eat during the whole process: courtship - spawning - egg rearing. Though they would eat during fry rearing, they won't eat much. Then there are those that don't feed to avoid ammonia build up; whether from digested food or from leftovers.

You have to choose what works best for you - what you are most comfortable with.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #12 
Myates

Mine wouldn't accept food.. wouldn't accept it for a few days after being pulled either.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #13 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Yes some believe t.hat males fed during egg/fry rearing will induce egg/fry eating.
I have never fed my males during this phase, but I've always thought it was a curious topic -- since one would think that if you starved them like this then the first thing they would turn to eat is THEIR FRY. So I never understood that logic.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #14 
indjo
TFK Moderator

This is why conditioning - fattening up thee male is very important. Some may fast more than 7 days. Some males, not conditioned properly may even die due to stress, fatigue and malnutrition.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #15 
Jayloo

I leave my male in until fry free-swim but I recently watched footage of a breeder who takes the male out 30 minutes after the female no matter what. He said his findings were that the survival rate for fry is 85-90% which is much higher than leaving the father in. He also says that if an egg falls out of the nest that if it does not hatch it was not fertilized and wouldn't have hatched anyway.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #16 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayloo View Post
He also says that if an egg falls out of the nest that if it does not hatch it was not fertilized and wouldn't have hatched anyway.
Is he implying that a fertile egg after falling out of the next can still hatch laying at the bottom of the tank? (assuming no infection/fungus gets it)
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #17 
Jayloo

I would assume the same. He is the guy on YouTube claiming to be the best betta breeder in the world. He has all kinds of different new methods but I'm very weary of a lot of them...
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #18 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayloo View Post
I would assume the same. He is the guy on YouTube claiming to be the best betta breeder in the world. He has all kinds of different new methods but I'm very weary of a lot of them...
oh that guy LOL, well I don't say what he's doing is wrong..but certainly will not be the only right way of doing it :)
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #19 
Myates

It's his own opinion he is the best.. his attitude makes him unlikable. He makes a lot of claims that makes you go "huh?" lol.. unsure how good he is, don't see a lot of actual spawns from him.. see him "breeding" them (in an un-Thai way), but unsure where he actually sells the fish.

Thought this was funny.. if he knew so much about bettas, why does he sell these?

He just talks too full of himself is all :P
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #20 
caissacrowntails

so I manage to take a pic of my "current" spawn..pardon me if it's not so clear, as I'm "afraid" to get "too close" to them during this stage ( daddy even started to "observe" me when I was trying to take their picture LOL ). The tiny red dots ( I used photoshop to add them ) are some of the fries that I could "identified" in the pic, and yes they're free swimming now, and daddy is still with them :)
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote