Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #11 
Bombalurina

+1 to Jaysee. I don't see a problem with the goldie, but I do think fewer species with bigger schools would make your fish happier. It is true that they only school when they feel threatened, but it doesn't mean that they won't thrive all the more in a larger group. I always think that, where you have capacity to provide the optimum conditions rather than just satisfactory ones, you should. :) However, I understand if you are trying to let certain older groups just naturally die out in order to change stocking, and I do think they are much happier passing into old age in your beautiful tank than in a petshop.

I do think you should try a little harem for Razr, perhaps, if possible. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #12 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
However, I understand if you are trying to let certain older groups just naturally die out in order to change stocking, and I do think they are much happier passing into old age in your beautiful tank than in a petshop.
Yes, that does become a tricky area - when one no longer wants to keep a kind of fish, getting more is out of the question.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #13 
ZombieKeepr

^ right. :P I still love neon & glowlight tetras, but I can't really see owning them again. They're gorgeous but kinda anti-climatic.

Now ... about Razr. A 55gal would be a bit small for a trio, wouldn't it? With his size, I'm almost wondering if, in groups, they aren't actually 75/90+gal fish. Admittedly, since the Eastern rainbows have moved out[they live in "my" 40gB], he's REALLY laid back and doesn't mess with anything, but when they're around, he goes CRAZY.

I will admit, when I got him, I didn't realize until later that day, they liked being in groups. Since I have a smart phone[as most people do], I can google a bit in the store while I'm picking up other supplies and make a decision but I didn't read that until it was too late. I got him from Ft Myers[and I live in Arcadia] which is about 50 miles away, that drive is ... heh ... interesting. We don't have a local petstore & I haven't seen Pearl gouramis 3 years prior to this. He was the only one. I kinda made an educated decision in the thought he could have a relaxed life in my tank[even being solo] vs staying in the store & probably dying because they didn't even know there was a fish in that tank.

Call it being foolish, soft, w/e ... I've always heard they were more laid back. I guess they're a lot more like tiger barbs then people would acknowledge. They're not "bad", they just get antsy & have a horrible disposition kept solo.

I'l see what I can do with him if he begins to be mean again, but with him being calm after the removal of my 'bows, if he'll stay like this, that works. xD I also kinda don't wanna risk him killing more fish because he's dead set on being alone, if that makes sense? Kinda a fear of mine. I, no joke, had a guppy who killed other guppies for no reason. It even scared a betta half to death[first ever tank, all a learning experience even tho in the end it was all ok & sorted] & it was just a 1.5" fancy guppy! xD
ZombieKeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #14 
jaysee
Reference Team

You could have 4 or 5 in a 55. If you can't get more, you can't get more. As long as it's not causing further problems, it is what it is.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #15 
Bombalurina

Can we see some close-up photos of some of the fish? :D I think gouramis are gorgeous.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #16 
ZombieKeepr

That's what I was thinking Jaysee ... just ... if it gets to be really bad again[he's aggressive without reason] I'll take the plunge & order him some friends off the 'net.

Anyways, here he is:
Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #17 
Bombalurina

He be purdy!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #18 
jaysee
Reference Team

He's a she.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

She be purdy.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #20 
ZombieKeepr

xD Thanks, Bomb :P

A better pic:

You sure it's a she, Jaysee? That'd be a little easier to work with, no?