Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #1 
alunjai

3 week old Fry Growing Very Slowly

Hi,

So I've managed to have a successful spawn (out 8-10 attempts) and the fry are now 3 weeks old. There's about 25 fry in a 2-3g plastic container with heater. I opt to use a plastic container to help maintain the heat better and its easier to clean than my larger tanks. Anyway, they all seem to be healthy and darting around but they look quite small compared to pictures/videos of other people's spawns that I've seen on the internet. They look like 2 weeks old... Some are slightly bigger than others and some are even so small they look like they've just been spawned.

I feed them live BBS once or twice a day and clean the bottom every night but they are still growing very slowly. Any ideas or ways I could boost their growth?

Once they've grown to a certain size, I hope to move them in a larger grow out tank.
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #2 
Myates

I feed mine 3 times a day.. a mix of BBS, micro worms, banana worms, walter worms, vinegar eels.

I suggest feeding twice a day at minimum.
What is the % of water that you change when you change it nightly? They do produce a growth stunting hormone that can cause them to not grow normally if not enough water change is being made.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #3 
alunjai

I usually change at least 50-70%. I only fill the container half full each time. Maybe I should add more water? I was worried if I took too much water out and replaced it the fry would die from all the water changes....
Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #4 
alunjai

I can only get hold of bbs where I live. I will try to feed once before and once after work from now on and see any growth. And more water tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Congrats.........

Along with the limited nutrition-it might also be an issue with 25 fry in 2-3gal of water. Since they are 3 weeks old-I would move them to at least a 10gal tank with a sponge filter, water temp of at least 80F and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the developing labyrinth organ-It is important that the air above the water be at least the same temp as the water and humid. That first breath of air that is too cool and dry can be a cause of mass die off and/or heath issues.

I would make daily water changes of 50-75% in a 10gal or larger or 50-75% twice a day in the 2-3gal.
If you have live plants, common snails and a tannin source to add-all the better. The live plants and common snails can help provide some microorganisms for fry food. As the tannin source-either IAL or Oak leaf start to break down can help colonize some microorganisms too-plus the tannins can help toughen scales/fins with long term use, however, if you use a tannin source-be sure and have the replacement water pre-tanned for the water changes.

The more varied the diet the better, however, if the only live food you can get is BBS-I would only feed newly hatched BBS with their yolk sac intact for best nutrition. I would have 2 BBS hatcheries going 24h apart and feed 2-3 times a day. I would also go ahead and start feeding some processed food at this stage-either crushed pellets, flakes, freeze dried and/or frozen to get a more varied diet.

Look forward to some pics....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #6 
alunjai

Thanks OFL!!!

A few died after I moved them from a small plastic container to a slightly larger one on Sunday (2-3g). I do have a lid on it but I took the cling film away (in the small container I had both). I think the water temp is changing too much. Whenever I open the lid to feed them I think all the heat goes.

I always get a bit confused with sponge filters... I've seen people use an air pump connecting to the sponge filter and some connecting their sponge filter to the inlet pipe of their external filter... If connected to the air pump how does that filter the water? I hope I make sense lol.

I found about a dozen baby snails randomly growing inside my 45g community tank... probably from plants I've bought from LFS. I do rinse them before putting them in but somehow they got in. Anyway can I use them in the fry tank? I did have one inside for a few days but I took it out thinking it might pollute the water? I have IAL available too. I do have processed food for fry which I use to feed my baby guppies with but I thought the betta fry were too small to take them. I will try tonight.

I really hope I can keep as many alive as I can but I think a few more may die by the time I get back from work tonight :(
Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #7 
alunjai

What is the best temp to keep the fry at? I'm worried anything over 82-84F will be too warm?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #8 
Myates

Temp wise, I like 84 personally. 82-84 is the recommended temp..

How big is the tank you moved them to? If it's still small, then yes a draft can cause a quick water change.. larger tanks (such as 10g) can handle it a bit better.

Depending upon size of the tank, one or two snails would be okay - but keep in mind they add a lot of ammonia/waste into the tank, so lots of live plants will help along with lots of water changes.. ammonia is a big killer to fry in the first month. But they are good at cleaning left over food, dead fry, etc.. so good to have as long as you do daily water changes.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #9 
alunjai

When I went to feed my fry before I found about 10 dead fry :( Really Sad... I think they started to die after I changed to the larger container... Maybe its cos with the smaller container I had cling film under the lid so effectively I had 2 layers on top. With the new container I just had the lid. Anyway I've put a sheet of cling film under the lid now. I have around a dozen left and really worried they won't make it..

I don't really want to move them again at the moment until they're a lot bigger. I might add more water.

I was hoping at least 20 would survive to adulthood but now it seems i'd be lucky to have more than 5... :(
Old 02-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #10 
Myates

I'm so sorry :(

How did you move them?

Moving such young bettas can be dangerous if you're not VERY careful in making sure the temp is the same, the pH, and all the other parameters. They are fragile at 3 weeks.. a draft could of happened, but in larger tanks it shouldn't affect the temp that badly.

What worked for me when I wanted to breed in a smaller container was use a small (sterilite/rubbermaid) plastic bin that could easily fit into a 10g - made sure there was room in the 10g for floating plants and a heater, sponge filter.. drilled some holes on the side of the container so the water would be equal inside and out.. bred in the small container and then when they were free swimming I just tilted the container very gently into the tank and let them loose.

They did need to be moved though from the small tank.. for now just make sure the temp is around 84, have IAL or dried oak leaves in there along with some live plants - and feed them a few times a day.. hope they bounce back.

Tags
3 week old fry, bbs