Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #1 
PrettyFrank

Female betta with lump near tail

Hi, guys! I'm new to this forum. I mainly made the account because I'm worried about a betta I just got an hour ago. She seems healthy for the most part, but there's a lump near her tail on the right side of her body. It seems to be weighing her rear end down. She still likes to explore the new tank, but I think it tires her out to have to keep herself afloat. The lump is on the inside of her body and is solid white. Does anyone have any idea what it might be and what I can do to help her?
PrettyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #2 
PrettyFrank

Actually, after some reading, I've determined that it's more than likely a tumor. Hopefully I can still keep her comfortable. Any advice on taking care of a betta with a tumor?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic...it might be her caudal peduncle muscle a normal part of her anatomy-but a pic would help. Also, fill out the info sheet found in the sticky at the top of this section to give us more info-as best that you can since she is a new Betta and some info might be n/a due to that.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #4 
PrettyFrank

Housing
What size is your tank? 15 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Does a bubbler count?
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Four other female bettas, a honey sunset gourami, four ghost shrimp, and three nerite snails.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Floating pellets, freeze dried blood worms, and tropical flakes (which are mainly for the other inhabitants, but often times the bettas will eat them too).
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a month to once every two weeks, depending on water quality.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Start right.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just got her today.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? N/A
When did you start noticing the symptoms? She was like that when I got her.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not a baby, but not yet full grown.
Attached Images

Last edited by PrettyFrank; 03-06-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling error, additional info.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #5 
callistra

You need a minimum water change of 25% weekly with siphon. This is after the tank is fully cycled.

More is needed during cycling, which can take up to 2 months: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

I'm afraid I can't really see much with that pic.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #6 
PrettyFrank

The reason I haven't joined forums like these is because I know how people can be so critical without offering advice that is relevant. So thanks, I guess. Sheesh.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #7 
Demysta

Do you have a space tank you can put her in? Usually when you get a new fish to add into a community tank, you should QT her to ensure that she is healthy and well before putting into the tank with the others. Try to quarantine her in a spare tank if you have one for a few days and see how she does! Not to sure on this and I hope no one tells me I'm terribly wrong here - but you can try treating her with pure Epsom salts at 1tsp/gallon and see if that helps her. You really do need to quarantine to do that, though.

But callistra is right about the water changes. You really need to be doing 1 25% a week if its already completed its cycle. We're not trying to be mean, we're just trying to help you. :3
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #8 
PrettyFrank

So this epsom salts business... That's assuming it is a tumor, right? Because I feel that's probably the most important thing to figure out first before treating her.

I appreciate the advice, but weekly water changes can be detrimental. Water parameters vary, which is why water changes should as well. Bettas are just like any organism on earth. They can adapt to narrow (I said narrow!) variations in their environment. Also, to do a 25% water change every week is like saying that increases in nitrate and ammonia levels are always consistent. There are a lot of contributing factors that a careful betta tank owner should be aware of. So if you want optimal water quality for your fishies, do a nitrates and ammonia test first, then decide on how you do your water change, if you should at all.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #9 
Demysta

Epsom salts can't harm the fish in any way, so it wouldn't hurt to try. I've heard people use epsoms to mitigate the effects of tumors, so I'm assuming it would be effective. Epsoms are used to treat internal problems, so it would be a good precautionary step to take to ensure the well-being of the female before she's reintroduced into the community anyways. Just be sure to pre-dissolve them before adding them into her water, and make sure she is isolated.

And eh, you do have a point there, its just that 25% are usually just the broad guideline for water changes in cycled tanks to ensure parameters. Did not mean to step on your toes or anything. Good to know you test your water before determining if your tanks need changing, though.
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #10 
PrettyFrank

I'll make a trip to Wal Mart tomorrow for Epsom Salts, then!

You didn't step on any toes. :D Everybody's different, and I'm sure everybody on here tries to do the best they know how for their bettas. I was just frustrated that something might be seriously wrong, which I hope is understandable. That was just my two cents.

But anyway, thanks so much Demysta! I feel much better knowing I may have options, phew!