Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #1 
LinkLover

Worried about my Goldfish

So a few months ago my dad had to move out of his house, and couldn't take his animals with him (three Goldfish and his dog). The three Goldfish were kept in a ten gallon tank (horrible, I know, especially since they were getting big) and he "couldn't find anyone to take them" so he said he was just going to release them into a local pond. Since that is wrong on so many levels, I reluctantly agreed to take them (I really didn't want any more fish but I couldn't let that happen to them). They are now in a filtered thirty gallon tank, cleaned weekly, and fed twice daily. However, I know after doing some research that they need a much bigger tank and more filtration. Unfortunately, that is completely impossible with my current situation, since I live in a one bedroom apartment and couldn't fit a bigger tank (nor would the landlord allow it). I'm feeling terrible that they don't have the space they need, but I don't know anyone who could give them that, or who I would trust to take care of them any better than I can. Do any of you have advice on what I should do? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

What types of goldfish, what size, and how old are they?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #3 
LinkLover

I'm not positive on type (they were feeder fish from the pet store when my parents got them) but I THINK two are Comets and one is just a Common. They are about five years old (ballpark guess). The smallest is probably around five inches, and the larger two are around six or seven.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm, okay.. Do you have water tests (for nitrate especially)?
They are at the point where they are probably already stunted and may not grow to full size now, I'd think a 30 gallon may suffice for the fish longterm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #5 
LinkLover

I don't have recent test results but I can do them now. I figured they would probably be stunted to some extent, since when my dad had them in the ten gallon he over fed them and cleaned the tank MAYBE once a month. :/ I will post the test results as soon as I get them.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

As long as you can keep the nitrate levels under control they should be fine..
Honestly with goldfish you rarely will hit the ideal conditions, considering the fish often end up in such situations, people usually get them dumped in their care, there are no where near enough perfect goldfish homes, people's ponds fill so quickly and such, so a lot of exceptions are made for the fish.. Don't feel too bad for them, could be way worse for them.. 30 gallons is small but way better than anything they had before.
Come spring you may want to consider posting an ad to see if anyone with a pond would want them, though..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #7 
LinkLover

Ugh. The ammonia was WAY too high, the nitrite was zero, and the nitrate was between 40 and 80 ppm. I know that they are in a better situation than a lot of other Goldfish out there, but I still can't stand knowing that it's not enough. I'm the type of person who likes to give their pets the best, not the bare minimum, so compromising is difficult. I wish I could find a rescue or something around here who could take them, but since their care is pretty demanding that is hard to find. I can post something to see if someone would take them, as long as I could verify that they would be kept in the right conditions.

Last edited by LinkLover; 03-06-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

When was their last water change?
Hah, I have 7 babies in a 90 gallon and even they are hard to manage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #9 
LinkLover

Their last water change was on Saturday, which is usually the day all our tanks get cleaned. Oh wow! From the sounds of it they seem to be very demanding fish. I love their personality, but it's definitely getting hard to manage, especially since my fiance is the only one who can clean the bigger tanks (I'm tiny and eight months pregnant right now) and he is gone at work all day.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh jeez, yes if they are pumping out that much filth, I would post some ads looking for homes.
Congrats on the pregnancy. We will need pictures of the baby too!
Posted via Mobile Device