Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #21 
Bombalurina

Until you can rehome them (though unless you can find someone with a nice pond, my personal thought is that they are better off with you) I suggest buying an extra filter, if you can afford it, and planting as heavily as possible. :) Goldfish will rip plants up, though, so if you do plant, really shove them down hard.

My sister has been keeping a single comet in a 23 gallon for six years. He has made it to ten inches long, though I would say his standard of living is pretty poor (boring tank that is clearly too small for him). Luckily we are getting a pond put in for him soon, so he can friends and space, but my point is that goldies will tolerate some awful conditions, and your lovely tank is no doubt a huge improvement on what they were in before.

Wish I could offer them a home, but I doubt they'd enjoy trans-pacific shipping!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #22 
LinkLover

I will see what we can do about another filter, and adding some plants. Hopefully we'll be able to come up with something that can improve their quality of life, as I hate the thought of them being unhappy. It's impressive what Goldfish will tolerate, even though they shouldn't have to be subjected to half of the stuff that they are (little bowls especially). I very much wish that you could take them, although I agree that shipping wouldn't be so fun. Thank you for the thought though. :)
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #23 
LinkLover

Bombalurina, would a ten gallon filter make any difference? We happen to have an extra one so it would be great if we could use that. Also, if we were to put in another filter would it be ok to take out the air stone we have?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #24 
Bombalurina

The more the merrier, I say. Every little helps. I was massively overstocked on my 16 gallon at one point, so even though I had a filter rated for 30g, I threw in one rated for 15g + a little sponge filter, until the plants kicked in to work their magic.

I would keep the airstone in unless you are getting a lot of surface movement to allow good oxygen exchange, since goldies need a fair amount of oxygen. :)
Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #25 
LinkLover

Ok thank you! Just out of curiosity, why do you think they would be better with me (unless like you said I can find someone with a pond)?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #26 
Bombalurina

Well, for one thing, I'd prefer the 'evil' that I know. In this case, yes, it's only a 30g, but we know that they'll have a dedicated owner who will do her utmost to keep them healthy and happy. Someone else may not realise the massive commitment that 3 comet goldfish entails, whereas we know that you see and love fish as living creatures under your direct care, rather than ornaments or a hobby, without personal attachment to the fish.

For another thing, I agree with Olypmia - their growth has probably been stunted permanently, so they may well be happy (length-wise) in a 30 gallon, especially if you can filter it as if it's a 100gallon (eventually). Is it ideal? No. Is it better than almost all the foreseeable alternatives? Yep. :)
Old 03-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #27 
LinkLover

Well thank you. That certainly makes me feel a bit better about their situation, and I do understand where you're coming from. Cause you only really know what's going on if you take care of them personally, or are able to check in on them all the time, which is highly unlikely. Our plan is to move into a house in two years (since our daughter will be two then, and we'll want her to have her own space) and if our financial situation is stable we want to get them a fifty five gallon tank. It's pretty far into the future, but if we keep them we do have plans to eventually improve their living conditions as much as possible.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #28 
Bombalurina

There ya go. :) Sounds like a plan to me!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #29 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
You could try using some Zeolite to maximize your filter's ammonia removing capabilities.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #30 
LinkLover

I've never heard of that, but I just looked it up and it seems like it might be worth trying. Have you used it before?