Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #31 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
I do use it in my 10gal. Its one of the cartridges I use in my power filter (I use one of the marina slims) . I use that with an undergravel filter an under gravel filter as well.

I'm over the recommended bioload for my aquarium, its a community some of which were gifted. I have a strict 'no more fish!' rule in effect as of the last gift.

I am managing to hold a stable cycle though.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #32 
LinkLover

Ah, yea "gifts" can really mess you up when it comes to pets. But that's good to hear it's working for you! Do you have to replace it very often?
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #33 
Bombalurina

Another thing I'd suggest is to get as much filter media as you can and keep it in your tank, where it will cycle. Then you can have it against emergencies/buying more filters for an instant cycle. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #34 
LinkLover

Ok will do. The goal is to get all the changes we can done this weekend, so we won't have to worry about it when the baby comes. Thank you for all the help everyone, and as always any further suggestions are welcome. :)
Old 03-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #35 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
I replace one cartridge once a month. I swish my cartridges inbetween changes too keep anything solid from building up. My filter intake is set pretty low in the tank so I end up a good bit fish poo and what not on the intake sponge.

I also have an under gravel filter and that also helps a bit.

I have a lot of filtration in my tank, but I essentially have a bottom feeder for each middle-upper level swimmer. And bottom feeders that are non-shrimpy are usually poopy little guys XP.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #36 
LinkLover

Alright, I will start doing that to see if it helps. And I hear you on the bottom feeders, as we have had a few Mystery Snails... enough said. :P
Old 03-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #37 
LinkLover

Just an update: My fiance decided to go ahead and buy a bigger filter instead of using the ten gallon one we have, so the Goldfish now have seventy five gallons of filtration. I'm hoping that will make a difference for them!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #38 
Bombalurina

That's awesome news! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #39 
Tikibirds

you will be amazed at the amount of crap the larger filter will pick up. I got a aquaclear that is rated for a 75 gallon tank (got it for like $10 off ebay) and stuck it on a 20G tank with 2 goldfish (they are not mine). I have noticed that when siphoning, the gravel is alot cleaner then it was with the 10G filter.

There are ammonia and nitrAte reducing pads that can be added to filters but not sure how or if they work. I though about trying them out with the goldies
http://www.clubreefaquarium.com/serv...dsh-Fit/Detail

Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #40 
LinkLover

That's good to hear. He did a large water change today as well, so hopefully we'll see improvement in the next week. I've never seen those pads before but will look for them the next time we go to the pet store. If I do find them and buy some, I will let you know if they work. :)