Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

No idea what to do!

I'm going off to college this fall, and the college I'm most likely going to allows fish. However, they only allow bowls. No filters. So, I emailed the guy back and asked if heaters were allowed. He said no! What kind of fish are we supposed to keep? Jeez!

I asked him why they weren't allowed, so hopefully they have a valid reason. Maybe I'll just go to a community college instead... I was all excited that I could bring them with me, but now it doesn't seem like I can. I have no idea what I'm going to do. I either have to give them up or let them go without heaters, if I'm going to go to that school, and that is NOT an option. I've never seen either of them happier. I'm really torn on what to do. My second choice school doesn't allow fish AT ALL. Which I don't understand, but there's nothing I can do about that. There are two other colleges that I applied to and got accepted into that are at the bottom of my list, and I can't figure out if they allow fish or not.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That's awful! I don't really know how these things work but how would they know that you are using a heater?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
That's awful! I don't really know how these things work but how would they know that you are using a heater?
I don't think they would have a way of knowing unless they saw it, but I really don't want to risk getting in trouble for using TWO when I'm not even supposed to have ONE.

Thankfully, I found out that one of my two bottom choices actually does allow fish, in 10 gallons! The wording was basically that if it can be kept in 10 gallons, you can have it. So I'm hoping that means my hopes of having a divided and planted 10 gallon can still happen. I sent my counselor an email asking about heaters and filters, and if it's true that I can have 10 gallons. If that's the case, I can totally go through with my original plan before my top choice school crushed my hopes and dreams. :(
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #4 
ZubinBetta

Colleges can be insensitive to the comfort of the people who reside there. I think administrators foresee the potential nightmare of hordes of residents who stop caring for their pets; most people are just not that reliable. You may have to plead your case to an official at some point, or at several points along the way, because they have seen and heard it all. But an intelligent discussion of the proper/humane way to keep bettas is a real opportunity for you to improve living conditions for yourself and other prospective students. Someone from the U. may surprise you and actually listen to such an account. Perhaps "policy" is not so deeply ingrained as to be completely inflexible. Let us know how your negotiations go.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZubinBetta View Post
Colleges can be insensitive to the comfort of the people who reside there. I think administrators foresee the potential nightmare of hordes of residents who stop caring for their pets; most people are just not that reliable. You may have to plead your case to an official at some point, or at several points along the way, because they have seen and heard it all. But an intelligent discussion of the proper/humane way to keep bettas is a real opportunity for you to improve living conditions for yourself and other prospective students. Someone from the U. may surprise you and actually listen to such an account. Perhaps "policy" is not so deeply ingrained as to be completely inflexible. Let us know how your negotiations go.
I did tell him that the only fish that COULD be kept in a bowl is a betta, and they need heaters to live, so hopefully something can be done... I do really like the other choice school I have, so if it doesn't work out and they give me about the same amount of financial aid, I'll just go there and spoil my fish with a 10 gallon.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #6 
Snoeflayke

The no-heaters rule is likely due to fire safety codes, as silly as it sounds. If this is the case, it's unlikely that pleading your case will have any effect.

Also, simply breaking the rules, and keeping your fish with a heater anyways will likely result in a write-up and possible punitive action should your room ever get inspected.

I lived in a dorm with loads of (illegal) pets, and it was a nightmare.
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I know this is probably not possible for a first-year, but have you considered trying to find on off-campus share house? Then you'd make the rules.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #8 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoeflayke View Post
The no-heaters rule is likely due to fire safety codes, as silly as it sounds. If this is the case, it's unlikely that pleading your case will have any effect.

Also, simply breaking the rules, and keeping your fish with a heater anyways will likely result in a write-up and possible punitive action should your room ever get inspected.

I lived in a dorm with loads of (illegal) pets, and it was a nightmare.
I figured, but they allow microwaves in dorms, so I don't get it. I don't plan on breaking the rules though. I don't want to get in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I know this is probably not possible for a first-year, but have you considered trying to find on off-campus share house? Then you'd make the rules.
It would be possible, since they allow you to live on or off campus as a first year, but money wise, it isn't possible. I don't have a job and I can't get a job anywhere.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Is there any chance dorms are warm enough to keep bettas safely without a heater? Would they allow a heating pad underneath a bowl?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #10 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Is there any chance dorms are warm enough to keep bettas safely without a heater? Would they allow a heating pad underneath a bowl?
Nope. I don't think they'd be warm enough, and I doubt they would let me put a heating pad under it.

I'm disappointed because this is my top choice school. My third choice is the one that allows 10 gallon tanks, so I may just go with them, if they give me enough money in financial aid. The top choice basically paid for me to go, so if that's the same case with my third choice, I'll go. It's closer to home, anyway. Far enough that it's a pain to drive to every day, but close enough to be able to come home to visit or hang out with friends.