Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #11 
SinX7

Just sneak it in :p
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #12 
Shadyr

I'm going to go out on a limb say that school comes first, and the fish second. Your education will determine your future - if you go to your first choice school, I'm assuming it's your FIRST choice because it's the best of the ones you are considering, you will be hopefully getting the best education there. Maybe you'll be lucky and the dorms will be warm enough to get away without needing a heater. And you can get a fairly sizable bowl - check stores like Michael's or home decorating places instead of the pet store. Or you might have to rehome your current fish or allow them to be kept by parents or siblings while you are away.

Once you are the commander in chief of your own way, you can set things up how you want, with the best you feel you can purchase.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #13 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post

I asked him why they weren't allowed, so hopefully they have a valid reason. Maybe I'll just go to a community college instead...

I was all excited that I could bring them with me, but now it doesn't seem like I can. I have no idea what I'm going to do. I either have to give them up or let them go without heaters, if I'm going to go to that school, and that is NOT an option.
I understand you are torn between keeping the betta in a reasonable condition and college education from what i read. Education is important and it will get you good jobs to get nicer tanks, nicer plants, and lots of bettas in the long run. Consider the income potential of your intended major and discern accordingly.

I would think that there are cost/safety concerns to cause them to be so strict. I work at a university and there are safety and health concerns that may seem mind boggling but enforced for the safety and health of those who live in a densely populated dorm situation.

Just some thoughts on why, and they are mainly cost drivers from an administrator's point of view even though a lot of them have pets, and most likely fish in their homes:

1. heater catching fire (not likely but can happen)
2. cost of water to maintain the fish if a lot of people are having it and they have tanks instead of bowls.
3. cost of electricity to keep filter and lights on for the fish
4. tipping over of the tank and fish bowl causing electrical shock, broken glass & injury from it
5. cost of maintaining carpeting/flooring from water accidents
6. cost of mold removal from water accidents not reported
7. bacteria infection problems e.g. TB in some sick fish that can be transmitted to humans. My $0.02

BTW, if they allow people to keep tanks, the dorm fees will probably go up to cover for the fish owners.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-07-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #14 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb say that school comes first, and the fish second. Your education will determine your future - if you go to your first choice school, I'm assuming it's your FIRST choice because it's the best of the ones you are considering, you will be hopefully getting the best education there. Maybe you'll be lucky and the dorms will be warm enough to get away without needing a heater. And you can get a fairly sizable bowl - check stores like Michael's or home decorating places instead of the pet store. Or you might have to rehome your current fish or allow them to be kept by parents or siblings while you are away.

Once you are the commander in chief of your own way, you can set things up how you want, with the best you feel you can purchase.
Thank you! If my kid tells me she won't go to a better school because she can't have a betta fish warmed in the dorm.. I'd freak out. These are great pets, but they are just fish.. and you may get to college and realize you don't have time for them like you do now, or the "fun" of them gets old.. then what? Stuck at a school you don't want to go, or a community college.. because you wanted a few fish.

Honestly.. as hard as it is to get work these days in many places/companies - you will want to get the best education as you can, because you are going to compete with hundreds/thousands of others and having a better education gives you a better chance.

Choose education.. get a career and then you can buy a house and have as many bettas as you want :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #15 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
Nope. I don't think they'd be warm enough, and I doubt they would let me put a heating pad under it.

I'm disappointed because this is my top choice school. My third choice is the one that allows 10 gallon tanks, so I may just go with them, if they give me enough money in financial aid. The top choice basically paid for me to go, so if that's the same case with my third choice, I'll go. It's closer to home, anyway. Far enough that it's a pain to drive to every day, but close enough to be able to come home to visit or hang out with friends.
The interest you save from paying off future student loans will pay for gozillions of bettas, allow you to have a quality life and afford a mortage, a car, and a family.

Mathematically speaking, your interest on student loan is the actual cost of your betta.

Student loan repayments run from $200-$500 +/-. entry level jobs pay about $1800 net. With $1300 left, you may be able to stay with your parents for 15 years until that is paid off.
Go for the full scholarship one.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-07-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #16 
Tabbie82

I agree with everyone who pointed out that education comes first. Yes, we love our pets. But, your education shapes your future and where your life is headed. If you have the opportunity to go to your first choice school AND it is paid for, do not throw that away over your fish. SOOOO many people would be so very happy to have the opportunity to go to college, and you have that. Please consider how you will feel in 5, 10 years and you look back on this decision. Will you regret picking a school based on your fish? Maybe you can find someone who you can trust to care for them while you are at school, then when you have a different living situation, they can live with you again. I am sure you can even figure out the bowl situation. Or, as someone else suggested, plead your case to the higher ups at the school. If they see you are responsible, and will properly care for the fish, they might allow you to have heaters. You are blessed to have your first pick of college and have it paid for. Don't let that go to waste.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #17 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie82 View Post
I agree with everyone who pointed out that education comes first. Yes, we love our pets. But, your education shapes your future and where your life is headed. If you have the opportunity to go to your first choice school AND it is paid for, do not throw that away over your fish. SOOOO many people would be so very happy to have the opportunity to go to college, and you have that. Please consider how you will feel in 5, 10 years and you look back on this decision. Will you regret picking a school based on your fish? Maybe you can find someone who you can trust to care for them while you are at school, then when you have a different living situation, they can live with you again. I am sure you can even figure out the bowl situation. Or, as someone else suggested, plead your case to the higher ups at the school. If they see you are responsible, and will properly care for the fish, they might allow you to have heaters. You are blessed to have your first pick of college and have it paid for. Don't let that go to waste.
+1
Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #18 
Powhatan

Don't say who YOU are, but plz share the names of the schools you're looking at. As to whether or not the first choice school's position is impacful depends a bit on whether you're talking Ivy League, Stanford, UVA or... some of the other opportunities.

Whether fish, dog, cat or rat, the sentiments of those who don't know what it's like are tough to deal with.
Powhatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #19 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhatan View Post
Don't say who YOU are, but plz share the names of the schools you're looking at. As to whether or not the first choice school's position is impacful depends a bit on whether you're talking Ivy League, Stanford, UVA or... some of the other opportunities.

Whether fish, dog, cat or rat, the sentiments of those who don't know what it's like are tough to deal with.
Captain Kirk = Sentiment
Spock = Opportunity Cost

Post modern: experience is most important

Star Trek cc 2009 shows the struggle of Spock balancing his human and Vulcan side...

we all have some of Spock in us...
Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #20 
Powhatan

One thing I'd like to point out: Today's college campuses are horrendous for fish pets. Perfect example: I had a friend who had a friend who visited Virginia Tech to engage in relations with a young lady on the Virginia Tech dance team whom he had met the night prior at a bar in the area. This gent, along with two roommates from a neighboring school, agreed to stay the weekend at such young lady's dorm... All in all, the weekend went well, as the particular gent knocked out the bottom of said young lady... HOWEVER, a huge issue resulted in the aftermath, as, as it was relayed to me, the gent's friends had thought it funny to open, in this young lady's apartment, one of the roommate's Chinchilla cages.. . The 'Chilla was found the next day in the complex's pool (I assume someone had chucked it over the fence?)... Worse, though, was the reported tale re: the Oscar fish that lived in the girls' aquarium... Some dude actually agreed to ingest the Oscar in consideration of another girl (who previously was on the cheer squad) doing the you-know-what on the male's you-know-what.

Very disturbing and unconscionable things are allowed to go on, on today's campuses. Just stay at home, and don't risk getting your fish eatin' by some lunatic who doesn't understand. Ya know? TTYL.
Powhatan is offline   Reply With Quote