Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #21 
Powhatan

What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Captain Kirk = Sentiment
Spock = Opportunity Cost

Post modern: experience is most important

Star Trek cc 2009 shows the struggle of Spock balancing his human and Vulcan side...

we all have some of Spock in us...
Powhatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #22 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinX7 View Post
Just sneak it in :p
I would, but I don't want to get in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb say that school comes first, and the fish second. Your education will determine your future - if you go to your first choice school, I'm assuming it's your FIRST choice because it's the best of the ones you are considering, you will be hopefully getting the best education there. Maybe you'll be lucky and the dorms will be warm enough to get away without needing a heater. And you can get a fairly sizable bowl - check stores like Michael's or home decorating places instead of the pet store. Or you might have to rehome your current fish or allow them to be kept by parents or siblings while you are away.

Once you are the commander in chief of your own way, you can set things up how you want, with the best you feel you can purchase.
I know school comes first. That school is only my first choice because they've given me the most money so far. I've never actually been to the campus, so I don't even know if I'll like it there. I've been to the other school that allows 10 gallons of fish, and I really liked it, plus it's closer to home. Still far enough away that I'd probably have to live there, but still close enough I could come home almost whenever I wanted.

My parents don't know a thing about fish care and they don't care enough to let me teach them so they can do it properly. My siblings are either moved out, too young, or don't care enough to take care of them. My siblings that live with us don't even want to take care of their own fish or our dog, so I know they won't be able to take care of my fish too.

Quote:
I understand you are torn between keeping the betta in a reasonable condition and college education from what i read. Education is important and it will get you good jobs to get nicer tanks, nicer plants, and lots of bettas in the long run. Consider the income potential of your intended major and discern accordingly.

I would think that there are cost/safety concerns to cause them to be so strict. I work at a university and there are safety and health concerns that may seem mind boggling but enforced for the safety and health of those who live in a densely populated dorm situation.

Just some thoughts on why, and they are mainly cost drivers from an administrator's point of view even though a lot of them have pets, and most likely fish in their homes:

1. heater catching fire (not likely but can happen)
2. cost of water to maintain the fish if a lot of people are having it and they have tanks instead of bowls.
3. cost of electricity to keep filter and lights on for the fish
4. tipping over of the tank and fish bowl causing electrical shock, broken glass & injury from it
5. cost of maintaining carpeting/flooring from water accidents
6. cost of mold removal from water accidents not reported
7. bacteria infection problems e.g. TB in some sick fish that can be transmitted to humans. My $0.02

BTW, if they allow people to keep tanks, the dorm fees will probably go up to cover for the fish owners.
I'll have to ask about that... I don't think they up the dorm fees if you want to have a fish in either of the colleges I'm looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Thank you! If my kid tells me she won't go to a better school because she can't have a betta fish warmed in the dorm.. I'd freak out. These are great pets, but they are just fish.. and you may get to college and realize you don't have time for them like you do now, or the "fun" of them gets old.. then what? Stuck at a school you don't want to go, or a community college.. because you wanted a few fish.

Honestly.. as hard as it is to get work these days in many places/companies - you will want to get the best education as you can, because you are going to compete with hundreds/thousands of others and having a better education gives you a better chance.

Choose education.. get a career and then you can buy a house and have as many bettas as you want :)
The four schools I applied to are all pretty equal as far as which one is better or worse. They all cost around the same, but the areas they are in aren't the best for a few. The one that allows 10 gallons of fish is in a really nice area. The one that doesn't allow fish at all, I'd be afraid to leave campus for fear of getting shot. Not the best area. I've never been to the one that allows fish but not heaters, so I don't know what it's like. My friend told me it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The other school is at the absolute bottom of my list, so I haven't bothered to look much more into it.

Quote:
The interest you save from paying off future student loans will pay for gozillions of bettas, allow you to have a quality life and afford a mortage, a car, and a family.

Mathematically speaking, your interest on student loan is the actual cost of your betta.

Student loan repayments run from $200-$500 +/-. entry level jobs pay about $1800 net. With $1300 left, you may be able to stay with your parents for 15 years until that is paid off.
Go for the full scholarship one.
It's not really a full schollarship. I still owe $7000, approximately. The other school that allows 10 gallons is slightly cheaper. Not by much, but it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie82 View Post
I agree with everyone who pointed out that education comes first. Yes, we love our pets. But, your education shapes your future and where your life is headed. If you have the opportunity to go to your first choice school AND it is paid for, do not throw that away over your fish. SOOOO many people would be so very happy to have the opportunity to go to college, and you have that. Please consider how you will feel in 5, 10 years and you look back on this decision. Will you regret picking a school based on your fish? Maybe you can find someone who you can trust to care for them while you are at school, then when you have a different living situation, they can live with you again. I am sure you can even figure out the bowl situation. Or, as someone else suggested, plead your case to the higher ups at the school. If they see you are responsible, and will properly care for the fish, they might allow you to have heaters. You are blessed to have your first pick of college and have it paid for. Don't let that go to waste.
The only people I trust enough to care for them are also going off to college or don't like/care about fish enough to do it. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhatan View Post
Don't say who YOU are, but plz share the names of the schools you're looking at. As to whether or not the first choice school's position is impacful depends a bit on whether you're talking Ivy League, Stanford, UVA or... some of the other opportunities.

Whether fish, dog, cat or rat, the sentiments of those who don't know what it's like are tough to deal with.
Fairleigh Dickinson University (fish but no heaters), Rider University (10 gallons) La Salle University (no fish at all), Hofstra University (couldn't find anything regarding what to bring/not to bring). That's not the order of the ones I like most. Rider and La Salle should be switched, but I don't really like La Salle's area. Kinda scary. Plus it's in Philly, which is a pain to get in and out of, if I ever want to try to visit home. Hofstra is in NYC, which is toooo far. And they've given me the least money so far, and they're asking for more than the others. I really liked Rider when I went on a tour. The dorms could be better, but they really aren't that bad. A few of my friends may be going there, so I might be able to dorm with them. FDU was my favorite out of all of them because they gave me the most money so far. I haven't gotten the financial aid from the other schools yet, so a different school might win over FDU.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #23 
VJM

I will happily volunteer to keep them for you while you are in school, and send them back when you are done.

I also agree that a college dorm is a hazardous place for a pet of any kind. And that school choice really should be about finances. Mostly because I have nearly 300k in grad school debt. If you can avoid educational debt, do it.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #24 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
I will happily volunteer to keep them for you while you are in school, and send them back when you are done.

I also agree that a college dorm is a hazardous place for a pet of any kind. And that school choice really should be about finances. Mostly because I have nearly 300k in grad school debt. If you can avoid educational debt, do it.
Thank you, but I would be too afraid to ship them anywhere. And I'll also be there for four years to top it off, so I'll likely never be able to see them again, if I let someone keep them while I'm away. If I can, I'd rather keep them with me.

If I'm lucky, I might be able to dorm with a friend of mine, depending on where I choose to go. She wouldn't mind having fish in the dorm and neither of us are very social or partiers.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #25 
Bombalurina

To me, choice of school has to be as much about personal happiness as finances. In the long run, sure, money matters, but mental health is even more important. College is extremely stressful, so you want a place you can be happy, and if that means choosing a nicer campus and the ability to have fish over some debt relief, I would do it. If you feel that the monetary side would not stress you out that much, anyway, and if you feel you would get just as good an education at either school. If you think that the burden of extra financing would be an issue, then I would consider saying goodbye to your fish.
In the end, you need to choose the option that is best for you as a whole. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #26 
ZubinBetta

Rider University appears to have much in its favor. If you truly are "bettacrazy," leaving your fish behind will be repellent, and I really don't see justification for the claim that in any case you would be throwing away your chances at a good education and, by extension, the good life--a good marriage, kids in the suburbs, mortgage, CEO by age 25--in deciding to have bettas over receiving the most money of the offers so far. C'mon! This is how decisions are made, with strong personal preferences and given available information; your decision to attend a particular college will not redound unto the Nth generation of your family line.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #27 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
To me, choice of school has to be as much about personal happiness as finances. In the long run, sure, money matters, but mental health is even more important. College is extremely stressful, so you want a place you can be happy, and if that means choosing a nicer campus and the ability to have fish over some debt relief, I would do it. If you feel that the monetary side would not stress you out that much, anyway, and if you feel you would get just as good an education at either school. If you think that the burden of extra financing would be an issue, then I would consider saying goodbye to your fish.
In the end, you need to choose the option that is best for you as a whole. :)
Yeah. I honestly would rather go somewhere where I'd be happy over somewhere I can go to for free. I guess I really need to just go to the campuses to see the dorms and decide from there.

I think the main reason why I don't really want to give up my fish is because every other pet I've ever had, I've had to lose. When I was younger, I had dogs and cats but found out I was allergic, so my parents got us dogs with hair, rather than fur, but my one dog died, and the two we got after, my mom didn't like so when my parents got divorced, my dad kept the dogs and my mom kept us. Now we have another dog that my mom actually does like, but I obviously can't take her to college with me. We had cats for a few months, until we had to move and couldn't keep them anymore. I think I really just need something that I can take care of and keep, and not have to worry about losing or having taken away from me. Fish are easy enough to care for, and I absolutely love my two that I have right now. I think keeping them would definitely help me to be happier. Sometimes it feels like a hassle to clean the tanks, but I know I can put up with it, especially once the tanks are planted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZubinBetta View Post
Rider University appears to have much in its favor. If you truly are "bettacrazy," leaving your fish behind will be repellent, and I really don't see justification for the claim that in any case you would be throwing away your chances at a good education and, by extension, the good life--a good marriage, kids in the suburbs, mortgage, CEO by age 25--in deciding to have bettas over receiving the most money of the offers so far. C'mon! This is how decisions are made, with strong personal preferences and given available information; your decision to attend a particular college will not redound unto the Nth generation of your family line.
It does. I love the campus and the people are so nice. The only thing I didn't like were the dorms because of how small it seemed. But then again, we went on a class trip, so 15+ people crammed in one room makes it seem a lot smaller, I guess. I'm sure I could still fit a tv, xbox, and fish tank in there. I've never actually been to the FDU campus, so I don't know what the dorms are like there.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #28 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post

I think the main reason why I don't really want to give up my fish is because every other pet I've ever had, I've had to lose. When I was younger, I had dogs and cats but found out I was allergic, so my parents got us dogs with hair, rather than fur, but my one dog died, and the two we got after, my mom didn't like so when my parents got divorced, my dad kept the dogs and my mom kept us. Now we have another dog that my mom actually does like, but I obviously can't take her to college with me. We had cats for a few months, until we had to move and couldn't keep them anymore. I think I really just need something that I can take care of and keep, and not have to worry about losing or having taken away from me. Fish are easy enough to care for, and I absolutely love my two that I have right now. I think keeping them would definitely help me to be happier. Sometimes it feels like a hassle to clean the tanks, but I know I can put up with it, especially once the tanks are planted.
thanks for sharing. It is good to see that you were able to identify some of the reasons that having the fish is important to you.

I would suggest you to continue to journal your thoughts and read on them when you absolutely have to make a school decision in the future. Actually keeping a journal will also help you see your other attachments in life and help you process all your decisions along the way.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #29 
Tabbie82

I agree with Otterfun about journaling. I have journaled for over 11 years now and it really helps me figure things out. And you do need to decide where you will be happiest and what will be best for you. I wish you all the best!

*EDIT* Oh, and Otterfun, kudos on the Captain Kirk/Spock reference. I found it entertaining, yet insightful! ;)
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #30 
ZubinBetta

When I lived in a college dorm, I discovered that it is possible to keep an elegant/comfortable space even with very little space to work with. And having the bettas there with you will make that space lovelier. I am sorry you have lost every other pet you have had, and that your petkeeping has been mixed in with issues of custody and being uprooted. This is a very difficult way to come to understand how important pets are, how comforting their love is, how they fill our homes and hearts. Caring for living beings, including people of course, makes our own lives worth living.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote