Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #1 
AlfaTheBeta

Coffe cup?

are coffee cups safe for Bettas? Can they be used as decorations in tanks? Why/why not?
AlfaTheBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Like a mug? Yes, they are safe. Make sure that you use one that has never been washed with soap and do not use a old one either (less quality control, may contain lead.). Generally anything food grade is safe.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #3 
tekkguy

If it was washed with soap before, just clean it very thoroughly with extremely hot water and NO SOAP and allow to air dry. Or even run it through the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle with NO SOAP.

You can't guarantee anything about what the manufacturer did with it, and I guarantee the manufacturing process is much nastier for the fish than using a little soap at home - so don't take any risks and just clean the thing with super hot water first! You might even do a vinegar bath, but I'd only bother with that if you thought you couldn't get the water hot enough.

Now, if there's a chip in the mug, don't use it - you never know what got soaked up inside the ceramic, whether from you or from the manufacturing process. Ceramic is porous, but once it's glazed with no chips it's fine if clean and sanitized.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

^ Yeah that. I have a mug in each of my 2.5g tanks. I did a vinegar bath for both, rinsed repeatedly, and let them air dry.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote