Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #1 
lunch

A first attempt

Hello!

I am completely new to owning an aquarium. Recently inspired to try it out, I cobbled together a little environment for two petco-bought bettas. They're fascinating little creatures. It has been just a few days, but so far each of my two males seems content.

Here is my first attempt at a tank set up. Hopefully I am doing this right! I have a glass ten gallon tank with a very small under gravel heater. No functioning filter as the included filter in the kit seemed too powerful. Just silk plants for now. I hope to eventually work up towards a planted tank.

The best pictures I could take with a cell phone camera:

The red colored male is named Makemake, the other has yet to be named.
Thanks for looking!
lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #2 
trilobite

Beautiful fish, especially that red guy! Keep an eye out for ammonia and nitrite spikes as the tank begins to cycle
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #3 
Catw0man

Welcome to the wonderful world of bettas! They are not only beautiful, but very interesting fish....as I'm sure you're finding out quickly! I love that they are so responsive to humans. Lots of great advice on this forum, which I'm sure you're already checking out! Congrats! :)
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #4 
DragonFyre14

Beautiful bettas! Great looking tank as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #5 
kyle89

Love the pinkish blue one and it looks good so far. Keep an eye on the under gravel heater i read mixed reviews and than ours didnt even last a full week! Is the filer that came with the tank adjustable?

Last edited by kyle89; 03-07-2013 at 09:33 AM.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #6 
DragonFyre14

Some filters are adjustable others there a certain ways to baffle them and slow down the power. I haven't done it so I can't help too much there, but if you ask around I'm sure there are a lot of people who could help give you ways to do that
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #7 
lunch

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the tips. I'm already learning a lot about betta care and aquariums. It seems I still need a few things to ensure the comfort of my bettas. I don't have the water warm enough as it is now. I had bought a submersible heater but the wire looked corroded when I unpacked it. I'm off to return it soon and pick up a water test kit. It seems the little red guy might have fin rot, as well. I will probably post questions in the diseases and emergencies subforum later tonight.
lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #8 
mattoboy

First off, thank-you for doing your research and doing everything right! Wow! Looks good! As you may know, your tank will go through a process called "cycling" for the first 3-6 weeks. I recommend treating it with Seachem Stability (http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...Stability.html) for the first 2 weeks or whatever it calls for on the back. Also, check out the pinned thread in the Habitat, Bowls, and Homes sub-forum for an AWESOME easy filter baffle that I use on my 10 gallon!

Matt
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote