Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #31 
Sakura8

I have not seen sores like that on other fish with severe bloating and/or tumors. He may have accidentally scratched his bloated side against something and opened a wound.

Kanaplex and Garlic Guard are both great to have on hand.

If he doesn't improve from the Maracyns, wait a week and then you can try the Kanaplex. If the Kanaplex fails, then I think it's safe to assume he has a tumor. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #32 
Melodica

Great news! His swelling has gone down dramatically. He's still a bit bloated, but not nearly as much. I just took the pic below. The sores on his side are still there, but he's moving more and seems to have regained a bit of his old personality (though he's skittish and keeps hiding - probably tired of me staring at him!)

I bought some of the PimaFix and I'm going to look for the Kordon Fish Protector tomorrow (would you suggest one over the other or are they about equal?). I gave him the last dose of the Maracyns today - can I use those products with that or do I need to wait and change the water before using them?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me. I know he's not completely out of the woods yet, but he's doing much better thanks to your advice.
Attached Images

Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #33 
Sakura8

Yay for reduced swelling!

I would change the water before adding the Pimafix for his wound. Be very careful not overdose the Pimafix as it has potential to harm the labyrinth organ (what they use to breathe surface air for). I don't often recommend Pimafix and Melafix but they are good for topical problems like his sore.

API Stress Coat also helps if you can't find Kordon Fish Protector. It will help him produce more slime coat, which is what will prevent the wound from becoming infected.

Do continue with epsom salts in the water at whatever dose you are using already.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #34 
Melodica

I actually already use the API Stress Coat in all of my tanks, so I'll add a little more of that, keep up with the epsom salt and half dose the Pimafix in a couple of days.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #35 
Picasso84

I've been keeping up with this thread, and it's sooo good to hear that the bloating has gone down! I will continue to keep my fingers (& fins) crossed! :)

That would be my finned friends with the fins crossed! -Not me! Lol
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #36 
Melodica

Thank you so much, Picasso84! :)

He's actually doing even better today. The bloating is almost completely gone. The white spots/sores are still there, but he's moving around a lot and even ate a pellet!

I'm going to dose him with the PimaFix tomorrow and get rid of the sores and hopefully he'll be as good as new. I don't know what I would have done without the advice and support from you guys. I really appreciate it and I know he does too!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #37 
callistra

yay!
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #38 
Sakura8

Err on the side of caution with the Pimafix. Give a half dose to start with and only increase the dosage by tiny increments if necessary.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #39 
Laki

Glad to hear he's feeling better! Now for those pesky sores.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #40 
Melodica

Bloating is completely gone and he's eating again, swimming around more and seems to have regained most of his personality.

There is something I'm concerned about though. The two sores on his right side have turned into one and though the size looks smaller, there is something stringy coming out of it. It's white/brown and almost looks like poop. Did his stomach explode or something?? Does anyone know what it could possibly be?

I changed the water this evening and continued with the epsom salt, Stress Coat and added half a dose (1/4 teaspoon) of the PimaFix. Are there any signs I need to look for regarding the damage it can do to the labyrinth organ?

The posted picture is about the best I could get of the stringy thing coming from the sore.
Attached Images