Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #41 
Laki

I think he would be pretty dead if his stomach exploded. I don't know. I would guess a type of parasite ??
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #42 
Melodica

I guess explode wasn't such a great word, but it does look really strange. It doesn't seem to be bothering him. He's active, alert and hungry, but it concerns me. Wonder if I should treat again with the General Cure as it says it's for parasites.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #43 
callistra

If he has internal parasites, feeding meds i the way to go. It takes 3-4 weeks to treat this, and GC in the water for this long isn't safe.

I can't really see anything from your latest photo.. except his colors are really faded
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #44 
Melodica

If you look near where his little fin is, you can see a white string looking thing. That's what looks like it's coming out of him.

As far as feeding meds, would the General Cure work, or should I look for something else? Also, is there a specific type of food that works better for medicating? He seems to have regained his appetite so I should be able to do that.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #45 
callistra

Treat like this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=0#post1451846
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #46 
Sakura8

The white stringy stuff you are seeing is most likely shed slime coat that built up while he was trying to protect the sores. What I would do is actually wait 3 weeks and then give him a final course of General Cure. That way, any eggs/larvae that were missed or were not susceptible to the meds will have grown up and can be eradicated. Depending on the type of internal parasite that he may have had, some stages in the parasite's life cycle do not respond to metronidazole and praziquantel, the main meds in General Cure.

During those 3 weeks, it wouldn't hurt to keep him on 1 tsp of epsom salts and any tannins/Indian Almond leaves.

It is very unlikely that any internal parasites are coming out of the sores. For him to have that severe of an infestation, he probably would already be a goner. :/
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #47 
Melodica

Update: He's doing MUCH better. Pretty much back to his full bouncy self. He's eating well and even the spots on his side look better, though some is still sloughing off. I've added extra Stress Coat to the tank to help with that.

I've attached a pic taken this morning (with a much better camera). Thanks again to all for your help and support!
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #48 
callistra

Very happy for his recovery :)

Nice cave btw. Where did you find it?
Old 03-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #49 
Melodica

Thanks. :) If it wasn't for you guys, I don't know what kind of shape he'd be in.

I actually found the cave on Amazon a few months ago when I was shopping to stock my first tank. Some of the reviewers mentioned cloudy water or a strange smell, but I've noticed neither one of those. I cleaned it very well before I put it into the tank. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

He likes to hide in it. I'll look for him and just see his nose poking out.

Last edited by Melodica; 03-16-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #50 
Sakura8

Keep up with the extra Stress Coat for a few more days at least. He looks almost as good as new. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote