Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #51 
Melodica

Thanks Sakura8! Do you think it's okay to stop using the PimaFix at this point? It concerns me a bit because of what you mentioned about the labyrinth organ. I haven't used any since that 1/4 teaspoon day before yesterday.

Of course now that he's better, my newest (and smallest) boy is having an issue. He seemed fine yesterday and doesn't look bloated or anything, but he keeps bobbing to the top of the tank and can't seem to keep his back end down. I'm concerned because he seems to be stressing himself out trying to stay upright. He keeps breathing heavily. I've moved him to the cup he came in to keep him from having to struggle so much. I used tank water that had epsom salt in it. Not sure what else to do except not feed him for a bit.

I think these fish are determined to make my hair gray!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #52 
Sakura8

I would use the Pimafix for a few more days at the same low dosage, just to make sure that open wound is healing over. At the dose you're using, his labyrinth organ should be fine; it's mainly a problem when it is overdosed.

Monitor your newest boy for any abnormal poo (white and stringy) and fast him for a day or two, no food. 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon will help him if he is constipated, which can be a cause for swim bladder problems.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #53 
Melodica

The bottle suggests using 7 days - I'm assuming at the low dosage that would be okay? He looks about the same as he did in the pic I posted yesterday - still a string of something coming off, but he's completely back to normal otherwise.

I had my newest boy temporarily in one of the cups floating in his part of the tank. Late last night I saw a little poop floating in it and he was swimming and acting fine again. I think I just overfed him. He's so much smaller than the others - I have to remember not to feed him as much.

Thanks again for all the help!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #54 
Sakura8

I'm really glad to hear your boy is getting back to normal. He was so large I was worried there!

Happy to hear your new guy is doing better too. :)
Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #55 
callistra

I've never used Primafix before, but I'm definitely taking note of this thread.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #56 
Sakura8

It's useless for internal infections and overall I don't recommend it because of the potential for overdose and therefore harm to the labyrinth organ but because of its antiseptic qualities, it's good for open wounds and sores and some cases of fin tearing. I only recommend it after I've gotten to know a user and know that they will dose it responsibly.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #57 
callistra

I was just thinking it might help in cases of external issues, but I suppose my vitachem and stress coat does that too.

I think people like it because it coats wounds and keeps them from getting infected, yes?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #58 
Sakura8

As an antiseptic, it cleans the wound out and helps to kill surface bacteria. Kind of like hydrogen peroxide on a cut but using natural ingredients. Vitachem is more of a nutrient supplement that bolsters the immune system.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #59 
callistra

It makes tears fuse together remarkably quickly and regrow more very rapidly as well. I think it does more than boost the immune system because of how rapidly this happens, but it's very good for that too.

I understand the concern with Melafix, but what is the concern with Primafix? It contains west indian bay leaf (reminds me of IAL) and low doses of clove oil.. just because if you overdose you euthanize because of the clove oil?

ETA: Vitachem also contains an ingredient that promotes cellular growth.. uses with brittle nails, peripheral neuropathy, etc. I guess that explains it.

Last edited by callistra; 03-17-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #60 
Sakura8

Yeah, I think it's the whole clove oil thing. Also, I was once told that oils in general are bad for a fish, especially a labyrinth fish. I'm not sure about that as the person had no scientific basis for their reasoning but better safe than sorry when I recommend it.

That reminds me, I need to get a new bottle of Vitachem. *runs off to Fosters and Smith website*