Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #1 
DizzyD

Power outage, Best solutions?

So my power went out and my Betta Died yesterday. I put a little post with more details in the memorial pages.

Whats the best way to avoid damage from power outages. Unfortunately the way Sir Reginald passed kinda give me little knowledge about what went wrong environmentally other than I should remove any tubes that he could get stuck in if there is no active flow in them.

My Best guess is the heater would be the first thing to focus on, especially in times like this when the power outage was due to a snow storm and the tank dipped to below 70 within 24 hours. I'm pretty sure I've seen battery powered heaters before. Any experience with these as a temporary back up.

I guess the next option is either a Battery backup system or a generator.

I'm leaning towards the generator because I know a UPS that could last more that 24 hours is pricey. A generator is pricey too but as long as you can get gas or Fuel you can keep it going.

Any suggestions for a backup power system?
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #2 
DragonFyre14

I'm not sure about any other powered methods of keeping the tank warm but I have heard that if you wrap the tank in a towel or blanket, that will help keep some heat in. Also if you have access to hot water filling a bottle or something with it and floating that in the tank until the temp equalizes.

Not sure how effective either of those methods are as (thankfully) I haven't had an opportunity in which I need to try them out, but I guess they are worth a try.
Posted via Mobile Device
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #3 
tekkguy

Newspaper is a great insulator. I would wrap the tank in newspaper and a towel, and float something hot in it. If you have a hot water bottle, great - if not, other containers like bottles, tupperware, etc, can be used.

You could also reverse that if the tank is small enough. If I were doing this for my daughter's 2 gallon, I would put the whole tank into the sink and run or pour hot/warm water into the sink and let it sit in the bath of a larger volume of water. The sink can be covered with towels, etc, to help hold the heat in.

You are right about the battery backup ... even a 7.5watt heater wouldn't last long on an inexpensive battery backup - but it might buy you an hour or two.

So sorry about your loss!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #4 
DragonFyre14

Yeah I guess you could always put him in a smaller cup and float that in warmer water. It would work faster but I'd be afraid of the temperature in his water spiking too much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #5 
DizzyD

The water bottle Idea is actually pretty good. I can't believe I didn't think of it. Sometimes the easiest solutions are the hardest to think of...

Its a 5 gallon tank. Right now I have a Nerite snail and 2 corys still alive in it. Luckly both of those species to my understanding can handle Cooler water than the Betta. But I'm still trying to keep it under control. I will get a hot water bottle and get it going.

My cousin has a small generator he is trying to get running for me. but I'm not sure if he will get up before the power. He said it needs a gas line. He was going to pick one up this morning and see if he couldn't get it working. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work so I don't know the progress of that project. I was going to run home during lunch to check on everyone, and my fish. Maybe I'll float a bottle in there if he hasn't gotten the generator going.

I got sir reginald out of there and took the sponge filter out since he kinda died in it. Is there anything else I should do to make sure the others are safe since my filter is not working? My hope was that the plants in there would keep the water clean enough until the power switched back on.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #6 
tekkguy

Try to keep the water aerated. Swish it around every once in a while, create some surface movement. You'll lose a little heat, unfortunately, but better to have oxygen in the water (especially if you're going to be adding some heat now).
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

I found this article:

http://aquaticlifefarm.com/web_pages...ticle_pwr.html

I am wondering if you put a water heater blanket or similar item around a tank if it would help. Some hard coolers also keep things warm or If you found a large foldable cooler and cut it up to use as an insulator.

There are also those hot hand things people put in gloves. The could be floated in the tank in plastic container or maybe plastic bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Hand-W...ords=hot+hands

I have not tried these ideas but they seem like they would certainly help.
I might have to get some of this stuff to have on hand.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #8 
DizzyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I found this article:

ALF Tips on Keeping Fish - Power Outage

I am wondering if you put a water heater blanket or similar item around a tank if it would help. Some hard coolers also keep things warm or If you found a large foldable cooler and cut it up to use as an insulator.

There are also those hot hand things people put in gloves. The could be floated in the tank in plastic container or maybe plastic bag.

Amazon.com: Grabber Hand Warmers - 10 Pairs HWPP10: Home Improvement

I have not tried these ideas but they seem like they would certainly help.
I might have to get some of this stuff to have on hand.
I have experience with those hot hands things and although they are good for pockets and gloves I'm not sure the heat transfer through the glass would be Significant enought to heat my tank. I guess if you got them on there fast enough they would keep the temperature from dropping to fast. I actually have some at my house in my camping equipment but I don't have any of the stickey toe warmers thought. Those might be easier to apply and would probably transfer heat better. The Foam cooler is a pretty good Idea too.

Fortunately my power came on last night. I did a 50% water change and the temperature came up from around 60 degrees to about 74 this morning. The fish seem happy. But as I was getting ready for work, the Power went out again. I'm hoping its just an hour or 2 at the most.

Last edited by DizzyD; 03-08-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #9 
Tabbie82

Just to throw my two cents in- I recently moved and it was a 14 hour drive. I packed my fish up as best as I could in a box with towels. I also used those toe warmers for heaters. I put two in a hand towel and stuffed it between their bowls. Every few hours when I stopped for gas or bathroom breaks, I replaced the toe warmers. This worked really well and all the fish made it home safely.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #10 
DragonFyre14

Yeah those hand warmers can get pretty warm and they certainly last a while too. If you aren't trying to heat up a large amount of water and the tank (or whatever container the fish is in) is also insulated well, I can imagine it would work just fine :)