Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #1 
bethyMT

Sassy...emotionally disturbed?

Hi everyone. My male betta, Sassypants, is acting like a, well, Sassypants. He's always had attitude, and he's very sensitive to changes in his environment. His reaction to change is pacing the back glass of his tank, all day and maybe all night. Usually this stops after a day or so of a change.

Now, he's doing it all the time, with no change in the tank! I did get him to eat a bit yesterday, but he's just pacing, back and forth, like it's a compulsion or something. He seems to be favoring one particular corner, as in swimming and staying there a bit before he starts out again.

I am worried the little dude's gonna exhaust himself. What I had planned on doing was stopping up the back area with lots of plants, so he can't pace and can't see the glass so much(in case of some reflection). Other than that, I can't possibly thing what could be wrong. The tank is big (10G) and fully cycled, warm,moderately planted, double filtered (sponge filters), and generally pretty wonderful. Does anyone have any other ideas?? Thank you!
Housing
What size is your tank? 10G
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter?Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?Yes
YeIs your tank heated?Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?No one. Used to be two nerites, but they passed away. More in quarantine.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Mix of NLS, Omega One, and frozen brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2X/day. He's still young, approx. 5months.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?1X a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?about 80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Prime, and I add a drop of seachem flourish comp for the plants.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:maybe 2. Plants eat it up.
pH:8
Hardness: Highish Gdh, Moderate Kdh
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?None
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?Restless pacing. All.the.time
When did you start noticing the symptoms?About two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He's kind of mentally fragile
How old is your fish (approximately)? approx. 5 months
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #2 
White Mage

All of my fish swim against the glass... and my sisters tropical fish. I'm pretty sure that's normal. I think a member on here referred to it as "glass surfing". Lol

Water from the filter makes small currents pushing against the tank walls that once it hits the glass it kinda rebounds a bit making a softer current that fish like to swim against.

My mom's female "glass surfs" all day long... stopping occasionally to pick on the snail and rest. :P

They also do it when they're bored. My red male likes swimming around through his caves and watching the snail, but when he gets bored he'll go glass surfing and flare at his reflection. Try adding a decoration or 2. Maybe a cave with roomy holes to get through. Rearranging decor also helps, it makes them think they're in a "new" environment and they'll go exploring. if you can't get him to move on, put plants against the wall he likes to glass surf on.

If the snails in QT seem fine, just put em in there, that will give him something to pick on for a bit. xD

I also see you have a 10g tank... 80% water change for 10g is WAY TOO MUCH. I don't even do more than 50% on my 3gal. It can make your cycle unstable and stress your fish out... 25%-30% is perfect for that size tank. Maybe even 10%-15% if you have a lot of plants. If he's already jumpy about changes, doing 80% water changes is even worse. You'll also save money on your water bill... Lol

Last edited by White Mage; 03-07-2013 at 10:36 AM.
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote