Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #1 
White Mage

Molly nipping at tetra's fins. >.>

How do I solve this? My sister has a 5g tank with 1molly, a platy, 2 longfin tetras, and 2 snails. (baby one came with the big one.... will be moved to different tank when older because it's riding it's mom's back for now)

A bit over stocked, but the filter is rated for twice it's capacity and does a good job with the bioload.

Anyway, the molly is always nipping at the tetras fins, and the black tetra hides from her! The white one is happy go lucky, but keeps being chased. :C What should we do? They all seem happy, nobody's clamped, but the black one is always hiding from the Molly, AND the white tetra. White tetra tries to school with him but the black one doesn't like him... The white tetra eventually gave up and seems fine being "alone" he swims around and does his own thing.

Edit: I think I posted in wrong section. :S

Last edited by White Mage; 03-07-2013 at 11:05 AM.
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Mollies, platys and tetras are social fish and need at least 3+ minimal to be happy.

Sorry to say but filtration doesn't matter. I could stock a 10 with 5 Goldie's and they will drive each other crazy, even if I kept the ammonia down and oxygen levels up. Everyone in your tank is evading each other's space, and they are getting on each others nerves.

If money is an issue, check out kijiji or ask around. Do small jobs (idk how old you are) for extra cash, and save up for a 20+ gallon. Make are Molly has 2 others (Keep to a 1:3 ratio; male Molly needs females and females can be together or with 1 male)... Tetras I'd say 4-5 minimum so they feel safe and aren't ganged up on, and platys 3-5 minimum again. It would benefit them and keep everyone safe and sound!

It's pretty hard to keep everyone happy in a 5 gallon unfortunately.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #3 
White Mage

Money isn't the biggest issue... it's space D:

My sister and dad went to the petstore in January and bought fish, even when I told them to research first. -.-

They came back with 3 fish and a 1.7gal... I had to buy my sister a 5gal myself, along with a heater. *sigh* then she got 2 more fish...

My dad is going to eventually buy a 20g with a stand for the loft to put tiger barbs in, but there's no room for it... She has the 5gal on her dresser... I could take a pic if you want, but I don't think it would support anything higher... MAYBE a 10g would work... but I fear 20g might be too heavy, and we don't have room for a stand right now. (or the money for one, those stands are pricey!) I'll take a pic of the dresser... I may be able to snatch a 10g OMW home from work tomorrow, tank and hood is all we would need.

We don't wanna add any more fish, it's a pain to QT them, and we don't wanna have to spend even more money on a sick molly with tapeworms like last time. That was a nightmare, and nasty. Everyone but the black tetra seem perfectly happy being alone, but I'm sure it's like you said why the molly is biting.. it's too crowded.

Last edited by White Mage; 03-07-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

A ten gallon would still be too small. :( 3 mollies (which do get quite large), 3 platys, 6 tetras, 2 snails - you're looking at 15 gallons minimum. 20 would be better.

If you are short of space, look out for a taller tank. Sure, fish prefer a wider footprint, but when you have to compromise on space this is a great way of doing it. I only have 15 inches to fit my tank in, but I managed to a tank that was 18 inches tall, so I could have 16 gallons without taking up more footprint sideways than my 5 gallon does. In fact, my 5 gallon is 17 inches long, so this tank is smaller widthways.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #5 
White Mage

her dresser won't support a big tall tank at all, it would just break from all the weight being in one spot.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Hmm... I have no other option left unfortunately. If you could get a 10 at least... Just remember that they won't be as happy as they could be and the Molly WILL be prone to Columnaris, especially since they do best in brackish water (though can live in fresh). I know this first hand, and after would only keep them in brackish water.

Try finding coffee table, side table, small computer desk (metal and wood are the best, plain wood not so much), check around for iron stands, wood stands etc. small entertainment stands work too. Be creative ;D heck, cinder blocks and thick wood slabs work as a not-so-classy stand LOL.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #7 
White Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Just remember that they won't be as happy as they could be and the Molly WILL be prone to Columnaris, especially since they do best in brackish water (though can live in fresh). I know this first hand, and after would only keep them in brackish water.

WHAT!? Oh God, no, NO!!!. Tapeworms were bad enough... geez. How would you prevent that? D:
Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #8 
White Mage

Ok did some research, will the tetras and snails be ok in brackish water? The platy apparently will be, but I'm worried about the tetras and snails...

I have noticed the molly does do "the wiggle" so she obviously needs brackish water. D:
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Not really. Tetras are strictly freshwater (brackish is more than just the normal AQ salt treatment levels) and unless your snails are nerites, salt will kill them.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #10 
Crowntails

Mollies need at least a 20 gallon tank. I had 2 in my 15 gallon and they did great, but they do better in larger, brackish water tanks. Most tetras need at least a 10 gallon tank, 20 is much more preferable. Platies need at least a 15 gallon. I'd return all these fish ASAP and just get a betta.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote