Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #1 
shamu13

New Fish- Sick or Sleeping?

Hi, I recently received a fish through aquabid from Siribetta yesterday. I used Jennifer as a transhipper because she was reputable and came highly recommended. The fish (Milo) arrived pale and with half of his caudal fin chewed off, but otherwise alert and responsive with no visible defects, disease, or injuries. I put him in a 1 gal critter keeper with a 25 watt adjustable Hydor heater set at 83 degrees after acclimating him. He regained most of his color and was voraciously hungry when I fed him. This morning I noticed that he had a HUGE poop in the color of his fins . It was blue and yellow, which isnt surprising because their poop is supposed to be the color of their food, right? In the last few hours I noticed that he seemed moody or lethargic, he was hiding behind the heater a lot and I can't tell if he was sleeping or if something was wrong. I don't have a water testing kit, so after awhile I just decided to do a 100% water change. I also added a zoomed betta leaf because his tank was empty except the heater. He seems a bit better now, more active but still lying around heater every now and then. Should I be worried? I've attached pictures

Housing
What size is your tank? 1G for now. I plan on moving him to a 2.5 G soon with decor, etc.
What temperature is your tank? 83 Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS betta
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day, 2-3 pellets each time

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Everyday so far
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He had chewed off half of his caudal fin and part of his dorsal fin when he arrived yesterday. It seems to be healing with no fin rot I can detect
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Started lying at the bottom of the tank slowly leaning to one side.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few hours ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I am aware
How old is your fish (approximately)? I would say 2-3 months? No idea, really. I got him off of aquabid and his body without the fins is probably an inch long.. he's definitely smaller than my other two bettas that are 5 months and undetermined.
Attached Images

shamu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

He's pretty. I'd say he's adjusting & since there isn't much in the tank he's hiding where he can. I'd give him a couple days & see how he does. I'd add some silk plants if you can.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #3 
callistra

It looks ok.

How do you do water changes? Do you match the new water to old water using an in tank thermometer? Do you acclimate him? How?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #4 
shamu13

okay, thank you! Should I be adding something for the nipped fins or is clean water just fine?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #5 
shamu13

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
It looks ok.

How do you do water changes? Do you match the new water to old water using an in tank thermometer? Do you acclimate him? How?
I match the new water to the old water with the tank thermometer. I repurpose a gallon jug of bottled water, and fill it with tap water. Then I add 2 drops of seachem prime, cap the jug, swish the water around a bit. Then pour some into an unused plastic cup, net the fish into the cup, and then dump the water from the tank. Rinse the tank, wipe it down with a clean paper towel, fill it with the new water and then add the fish. I don't acclimate them usually, I do a 50% water change 1-2 times per week and then a 100% water change once per week.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #6 
callistra

I think you are doing good. I would just make sure to acclimate for the 100% change by floating for an hour while you add a few tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes. The 50% he doesn't even need to leave the tank.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #7 
Saphira101

My little girl Pi did that once. I panicked and wiggled my finger above the tank and she swam up like, "hey, what's the big deal? Do you bring me food?"

She was just fine.

EDIT: You have such a pretty fish!!!
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #8 
shamu13

Callistra and shellieca, thank you! I checked on him this morning and hes swimming around but also laying at the bottom with his fins looking clamped, swaying to the side. Should I continue with 100% water changes everyday until I get the 2.5 gallon?

Saphira, thanks! I was really excited when I saw him on aquabid- couldn't resist haha. Does your Pi do that regularly? Because Milo is alert when I wiggle my fingers above his tank or when he sees me looking at him, but otherwise I do find him looking like hes playing dead at the bottom.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #9 
soady

If you put something that he can rest on near the surface, I bet he would spend most of his resting time there. He looks awesome! :D
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #10 
callistra

Clamped isn't good. Try cutting back on the changes.. 50% and 100% weekly and see how that goes.