Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #1 
PicoCube

What should i do .Colorless.

Here is my boy guys. He is 5 month old and i realy wonder what type female should i pick to breed him or not?İ need all info from pro breeders color pattern and tail type.Thank you.

PicoCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Color- white cellophane (blue wash). Not bad, not great.
Fins- Super delta (not quite a halfmoon). Long anal.

I would get a short anal white female to breed to him.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #3 
trilobite

If I were you Id want a girl with straight tail edges, his are round, especially the top half.
A shorter anal,
Dorsal with first few rays same length as the rest of them, or at least not as short as his to get rid of the "falling backwards" look ideally it would be a "jutting forwards" look.
And a smooth topline to counter act his slight spoon head.

If you can find a female with these traits and matching colour then snap her up straight away lol!
If not, Id focus more on his form as opposed to colour so just get any colour that has a good form to compliment him. If possible try to stay away from red though
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #4 
PicoCube

He wasnt flaring when i took the pic i was just feeding him :D.What about dragons can i pick hmpk female dragoon to breed? or its just bad idea?

Should i breed or sell him? is he worth to breed?

And please can you put some female pics for him.

i will try to put better pic tomarrow agains miror.Thank you for quick info.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you have other options - like, if you can afford to get a different male, I wouldn't breed him. Too much work needs to be done. But if getting another male isn't an option, then you have to start with what is available.

I'd breed him to a ballanced finned DTHM - hopefully you will have better dorsal form ans shorter anal. Also look for better top line - he is rather spoon headed.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #6 
PicoCube

İ have 2 more male but they are hmpk dragoons.İ wanna work on HM.What about this girl.She is golden dragon i got 6-7 of this girls they are 6 month old i breed them father was white full mask hmpk mother was golden hmpk.

İ alredy breed so many others but this is my second HM attempt and they are so hard.So far i see i dont know anything about HMs.Actualy its realy hard to find good betta in turkey they are all C grades.So i probably cant find any better HM male.

Last edited by indjo; 03-09-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:56 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Can you buy online, from overseas? I know Sometimes this is not an option since shipping regulations can be a problem. Or perhaps you can order through known shippers. . . . just a thought. You see if your goal is to create good formed bettas, in the long run investing in good formed breeders will be cheaper than working on "C" grade fish. It will take you many generations to get them "A" grade and even more to achieve SQ.

IMO females fin form is important when attempting to improve finnage. The problem with your female is that she has so so body form, too few ray branching (caudal too round), Dosral too small. The only advantage is her small anal. You want to use a female that can fix as many flaws as possible.

TBH I'm not familiar with your country. Sorry if my suggestions are not possible for you - it's the best way I know how to achieve your goal in as few generations as possible.
You can use show quality plakats. You can also use Double Tails.

Theoretically, short fin is recessive against long fin. So if you cross them, you should get more long fins than short. Take the long finned F1 and inbreed them to get better finnage long fin.

ps. try to get side view of flaring bettas - easier for us to asses their form.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #8 
PicoCube

İTs not posible ship for 2 fish. İt cost me 140 euro for to pass from customs and my goverment not allow any water or animal to pass without permition.Taking permition took 3 days, probably fishes die by the time.İ took my first dragon from germany when i visit there, put him in my pocked with wet paper then pass from aitport like criminal:D.AND HE MADE İT :D.So probably he was the first dragon in turkey.

İ will try to find another girl with better pics.i actualy like his color pattern for this male then finnage.But like you say i need at least 4 generation to achive my goal.İ will put some new pics tomarrow with better cam.Thank you for informations i learned a lot about long fins.Can you guys please put some picture about how a good HM female looks like.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Good female fins is the same as the male's . . . if you know what a good male should look like, well that's what the females should look like too.

In case you're not sure, here is an article on form
Betta Splendens - Half Moon, Double Tail, Crown Tail Bettas - Development of the New Bettas4all Standard
Old 03-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #10 
PicoCube

i never saw female with big round fins with lots of rays thats why i asked for pic from your babies.Coz i never had any good pure hm betta.İ Found 4 new male from one of the sellers in here i will post pic if you guys help me to chose one.