Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #1 
Kbaumgartner

Is my half moon sick?

I just changed my half moon, Ralph's water and noticed one eye is normal and the other-pupil is white and seems cloudy. Is he sick? Am I not changing the water enough? Please help. I don't want him to go blind!
Kbaumgartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #2 
bettabetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbaumgartner View Post
I just changed my half moon, Ralph's water and noticed one eye is normal and the other-pupil is white and seems cloudy. Is he sick? Am I not changing the water enough? Please help. I don't want him to go blind!
Well, to know if your changing the water enough, more information is needed:
What size is the tank? how much are you feeding him? how often do you clean it? does it have a filter? a heater?
if you answer a bit more info, i might be able to help a little more :)
bettabetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #3 
Kbaumgartner

He's in a half gallon tank. I do have a beta heater in the tank. No filter though. I change the water usually once a week. I feed him @ 8:30 each night. I tried twice a day but he didn't want anything to do with a morning feeding. I treat him once a week with frozen bloodworms otherwise it's betta flakes. I have a plastic rock with fake plant attached. Should I get a snail and a real plant? If so, what kind?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

I would suggest PMing a moderator and asking them to move this to the disease section of the forum. :)

Also, fill in this form so we can get as much information as possible:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Finally, photos are one of the best methods of diagnosis, so if you can post a photo of his condition, definitely do that. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #5 
Kbaumgartner

How do I PM a moderator? I am technologically illiterate in some respects. This is the first time I have ever joined a site like this.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Well, welcome aboard! :)

You see where I have Bronze Member and you have New Member under our names? Search around til you find someone with Moderator written their. Super Moderator is good too. DramaQueen, OldFishLady, Sakura, Olympia and Romad are all mods. You click on their name, go to their public profile and opt to either post to their wall or send them a private message. Similar to facebook, if you have it. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #7 
bettabetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbaumgartner View Post
He's in a half gallon tank. I do have a beta heater in the tank. No filter though. I change the water usually once a week. I feed him @ 8:30 each night. I tried twice a day but he didn't want anything to do with a morning feeding. I treat him once a week with frozen bloodworms otherwise it's betta flakes. I have a plastic rock with fake plant attached. Should I get a snail and a real plant? If so, what kind?
Hmm... well a half gallon tank is a little small, and it showed defiantly be cleaned more often, even everyday if you have the time (i know some people are to busy to do it everyday, but 3 times a week will do) it's alright for now, but long term you should feed pellets, not flakes (flakes can tend to bloat there systems and make them sick, but since you only do it once a day, it should be okay) this tank is way to small for a snail, but maybe getting a live plant sometime isn't a bad idea. but for now, you should focus on getting your betta healthy first. i have done a little research, and there is medicine for this, but honestly i don't think it's necessary yet. your betta won't go blind, im almost sure. this disease/infection is normally cause by poor water conditions, which it most likely is from what you described. I would try to clean his tank everyday, and maybe try to get him a bigger better one soon. Also, are you adding water conditioner to the water when you clean? if not, you need to get water conditioner right away, this will make your water safe for your betta to live in. Hope this helps for now, Best of luck with your fish!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #8 
Kbaumgartner

Yes, I use water conditioner. Thank you so much for the advice! I will try to change it more often.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #9 
Kbaumgartner

Thank you and will do!:)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #10 
bettabetter

oh and i forgot to put above:
Betta tanks showed be a minimum of 2.5 galleons, so i would aim around there when buying a new one.
Also, what temperature is your water? it should be around 75-80 degrees, but since you do have a heater i suppose it will be ok :)