Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #1 
bb4ninja

checking in

Hey guys, how is it going?

Two days ago I purchased a 10 gallon tank with gravel, filter, water conditioner, and Japanese themed accesories for my tank. I rinsed the tank and set everything up and let the filter run for roughly 24 hours. The next day I went to petsmart and purchased a tthm betta, 3 neon tetra, 3 Dalmatian mollys, and a clown sucker fish (don't know the real name). Everything looks good and everyone is getting along so far but did I make a wise move by placing those fish with my betta?
bb4ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Not really.

Neon tetras need to be in groups of 6. 6 neons and a betta fully stocks a 10 gallon.
Mollies (in my opinion) get too large for a ten gallon, and three would fully stock one. Although they can live in fresh water, they do much better in brackish, which would not be nice for the other fish.
The sucker fish is a serious problem. Without identification, it could be anything from a bristlenose pleco, which get 6 inches long, have a large bioload and need a 20 gallon, to a Chinese Algae Eater, which also get large and grow very aggressive as they age. Can you post a photo?

I would strongly recommend taking the mollies and the catfish back and buying three more neons. However, I wouldn't buy the new neons until the tank is cycled. Cycling is the process of growing good bacteria in your filter. Without these, the filter is only partially effective. The cycling process takes about 6 weeks, done fishlessly, more with fish-in.

By adding all the fish at once you may cause an ammonia spike, which could harm your fish, so keep a very close eye on ammonia levels with a liquid testing kit and do as many changes as necessary.

I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh. It isn't meant to be. :) We all make mistakes when we start out, particularly when taking advice from petshops. In future, though, always research or ask here before committing to buy, as there are many factors, some of which I haven't mentioned, that need to be taken into account when buying fish. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #3 
bb4ninja

He is a clown pleco
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

In that case, I would choose between the pleco and the neons. One or the other would be suitable with a betta for a ten gallon. :)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #5 
eemmais

IMO I'd keep the tetras. Clown plecos get 4 inches, which is a little big for a 10 gallon.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

+1. That would be the preferable option.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #7 
bb4ninja

10 gallon tank is more than likely temporary, my wife and I wanted to see how well we did then upgrade to like a 30+ gal tank. I had a betta in the past named bobby that lived in a vase with a live plant for about 5 years previously so I was kinda attached to bettas.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

A common mistake people make is to start with a small tank because they think it will be easier. It is actually much easier to care for a larger tank as water parameters and temperature are much more stable. :) I'd upgrade sooner rather than later.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #9 
bb4ninja

I will look into upgrading asap, as soon as I got home I noticed I was missing 2 fish. A molly and tetra, I moved things around to see if they were hiding but no leads. I fed the fish to see if they would eat and they ate all the food given to them
Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

Does your tank have any holes in the lid they could have jumped through? Is there any way for them to get sucked into the filter intake?

It is possible that they died and got eaten, but it is unsual for two fish to get eaten so quickly.