Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #51 
LittleBlueFishlets

I spoke with an employee at my local Petsmart. She said that they were told to do two water changes per week on the Betta cups.

I don't know if this applies to all Petsmarts, or whether it was just the instructions they were given at my local one.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #52 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was told they change the water twice a week. I think they feed them twice a week, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #53 
shushcat

Definitely recommend asking how new the stock is (or how recently the water was changed?). At my Petsmart, they had two shelves full of betta with cups on top of cups. I bought one during this sale; his cup had 4ppm ammonia, and he died in less than 24 hours - and he was one of the better-looking ones, too. The very next day after I bought him, I took him in for a return, and they had ALL new betta with fresh water in the cups. Got a beautiful, healthy pastel buddy!

The sale is a mixed blessing, unfortunately. (S.I.P. Timor!)
shushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #54 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yesterday was 'new shipment' day at my local Petsmart. Maybe I'll "need" to go there tomorrow to buy, um, "something."

And while I'm there, I'll just "happen" to check out the new Bettas.

And, of course, if I find a pretty new Betta... then a new tank, heater and decorations will somehow just "fall" into my shopping cart.

Heh. I have this all planned out.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #55 
osromatra

Hubby didn't leave me at all- he actually surprised me with a 20G set-up! I knew there was a reason I married him. :D
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #56 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yay! Good for your hubby! What are you going to put in this new 20G set up?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #57 
osromatra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Yay! Good for your hubby! What are you going to put in this new 20G set up?
Well, I am cycling by putting in our other 20G old filter plus a new one (both use the same Marineland Penguin 150), as well as our old gravel. I put in the three molly fry that's been harassing my betta D'Argo. Let them sit in it overnight and this morning before I put in the established filter. So once that was done and had been running a few hours, I checked the parameters, nothing is bad yet, and I didn't really expect it to be. But I put in the other 3 mollies (1 male, 2 female) and we plan to rehome the 3 fry. I'll get some sort of algae/bottom feeder, not sure which yet.

As for my bettas, it's going to be a sorority. I already bought 5 of them and have them in QT. I had bought a 6th, but it was too far-gone. I knew when I bought it was a long-shot, but I figured I'd at least try. She died before we even got home, which is only a 30 minute drive. The others are doing pretty good. One is pretty lethargic and has little appetite, but I have gotten 2 NLS pellets in her so far. 2 others are bloated slightly, but otherwise good. 1 is fine, just needs a heater and continued clean water and good food, and 1 is good but small. She is feisty though. I want to end up with at least 7 or 8 girls, but that was all they had at the stores (went to both Pco and Psmart).

It's going to be a planted tank too. Already has anachris (5 bundles) and I plan on getting several others going, plus some driftwood and caves.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #58 
Artemis

I don't know if I am know but I know the names of some of the staff. I'm not quite there enough (guess where I will spend most of my time when I get a CARRRR!!!!) to have them know me. One fish lady, Jade, is incredibly nice, she MIGHT know me. Just wait, I will be there often. Maybe work place? :P
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #59 
mattoboy

Went into a PetSmart today in hopes for some .99 cent or $1.99 baby girls and no sale on betta's... :(

Is this sale in Canada too?
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #60 
LittleBlueFishlets

I don't see any distinction between Canada and the US on Petsmart's website. When I used the store locator and looked up "Nova Scotia," it gave me locations in Canada, so they don't use a separate site for Canada. And when I clicked on "Live Pets/Bettas," it showed me the sale price. Here's a link to the VTs that are on sale: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3954107