Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #1 
Nicci Lu

Super Green Food Mishap

I'm going to ask the betta nutrition experts if eating Repashy Super Green will make my betta sick. But first, I gotta tell the story because it's kinda funny.

I got Super Green for my otos. I've never used gel food before, I think I boiled it too long because it got really lumpy and thick. My idea was to paint it on a rock, but I ended up putting on a really thick layer. I don't know what I was thinking- hungry, hungry otos, maybe?

So, when I put it in the tank, the water swelled the Super Green even more. A few chunks came loose. 5 minutes went by, and no otos came to check it out. But then comes my big galoot of a betta, who decides that he should be able to eat anything in his tank. He took 3 or 4 big bites. But, does he take nice, little bites? Oh no, not my betta. Adorable Fish comes plowing through it, fins flapping, tail wagging. Now, I've got Super Green floating everywhere. My otos are going crazy, their little suckermouths working overtime, they think they've died and gone to oto heaven because there's this nice algae stuff on nearly all the surfaces of the tank. They decide to form a cult worshiping the big blue god with the over-sized fins who makes food fall from the sky.

Heh, just made that last part up.

Adorable Fish has suffered no ill effects after eating the Super Green. He is now entertaining himself by periodically taking bites and spitting it out. What I'm worried about is that I'll be going away for two days. Adorable Fish will have to do without and I had planned on leaving the otos Super Green in the tank. I'm afraid that in the absence of food, His Pigginess will gorge himself on the Super Green.

You think it will make him sick? These are the ingredients:
Chlorella Algae, Spirulina Algae, Pea Protein Isolate, Germinated Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Alfalfa Leaf Powder, Stabalized Rice Bran, Dandilion Powder, Dried Brewers Yeast, Flax Seed Meal, Schizochytrium Algae, Chondrus Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Ascophyllum Algae, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Phaffia rhodozyma yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement)

For a laugh, I caught part of Adorable Fish's antics with the Super Green on camera. http://youtu.be/qH7fs4HuhWw
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #2 
Picasso84

LMAO!! That is hilarious! :)

Aaahhhh.... I see ur dilemma! Sorry, I don't have enough knowledge to answer... But I would think they could survive the 2 days you'll be gone w/o food?
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #3 
Nicci Lu

Otos need to eat constantly. And two of them have only been in the tank for about a week now, so they're still working on getting as fat they need to be after going hungry during transport and being at the store. I was thinking about leaving them zucchini (Adorable Fish will leave it alone as long as it's hanging off the glass) but was worried about it spoiling and mucking the water.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #4 
ZubinBetta

From your video, I see that Adorable Fish appears to be wallowing in the Super Green more than actually eating it. My guess is that Super Green is just not nutritive enough to sustain--or for that matter to overfeed--a betta, even if he were inclined to consume some of it. My guess (again) is that Adorable Fish will continue to play with the Super Green in your absence but will make no serious effort at eating it--preferring to wait until you return with the real food! Two days is well within the fasting tolerance of a betta, and if the otos need to eat constantly, that would seem to settle the matter of Super Green needing to be left in the tank while you are away.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #5 
Nicci Lu

I was thinking that the Super Green wouldn't bloat him- it's not vegetable matter or anything, mostly algae. Yeah, and after those first few bites he now just spits it out.

"Wallowing"- I like that. That's my betta!

I will have to figure out a different way of putting it in the tank, though. My nitrites were at .25 this morning from my boy's antics. And now after a water change, the tank's a cloudy mess, even with the vacuum. It's starting to settle, though. Hopefully the otos and the filter will take of it.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

As hilarous as your post is oO I wouldn't leave anything in there to decay... super green is a lot of organic matter :( being away for two days and not being able to monitor the water and do emergency WC when u need to. maybe you can move everything to another tank in the mean time if you have one....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #7 
Fishy Mom

LOL, it reminded me of a cat rolling in catnip when he swam through like that. I don't have an answer for you, but your post made me laugh so much I had to comment.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #8 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
As hilarous as your post is oO I wouldn't leave anything in there to decay... super green is a lot of organic matter :( being away for two days and not being able to monitor the water and do emergency WC when u need to.
Yeah, in light of the nitrite spike this morning, I've begun to rethink my plan. I think I might just leave them a zucchini slice. I usually leave it in for two days anyways since they don't start eating it until day 2. And it's never fouled my water before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
maybe you can move everything to another tank in the mean time if you have one....
Sorry, the constant barrage of a 3 and 5 year old has reduced my brain to jelly... I don't quite understand this.

@Fishy Mom- You're right! One of my cats does the same exact thing with her catnip! Wonder if he saw her do it...
Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

as in...
maybe you can move the bettas and oto to another tank if you have one...?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote