Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #1 
Tyler92x

Plant Ideas (Help)

First year Betta owner here, I would really like to add live plants to my tank, but i'm not sure what to start with, and or what would be good for my specific tank, It is a 4 gallon tank and does not receive very much natural light. I will have a pic of the tank attached let me know if anyone has some ideas.
Attached Images

Tyler92x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #2 
Aurie

first off - you have a real plant, the moss (algae) ball .. but I get where you're going here.. There are many but to be honest if you want ones that are REALLY low light you can't go wrong with Anubias and Java Fern -For anubias I'd see if you can find the Anubias Petite .. it stays small and the leaves are small for tight places. What light is on the top of the tank? We might be able to work with that if we know what fixture it is. The 2 I just mentioned can probably grow or at least not die in the light that is lighting your tank in that picture. It'd be helpful to know what that light is though.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #3 
Tyler92x

Well it is an Evolve 4 gallon tank, that light up top is just a LED lamp that came with the tank, i'm not sure that it would work to keep plants alive.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #4 
Aurie

I'm not too sure, but if it has a white light option instead of the blue (unless you are using the white in the picture...) then I think you could get away with Petite Nana (Anubias barteri 'Petite') if you can find it at the store. You can order them online pretty cheap. Maybe someone has some to send? They should survive shipping really well. But I'd still mind the cold weather some of you are having... (hehe I only say "you' because it was 65 today in oregon.....)
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #5 
Tyler92x

Okay thanks for the advice, yeah the snow storms we had has made it quite chilly here, however we are headed to Cozumel Mexico in 5 days, just hoping my Betta Sitter does her job lol
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I'd suggest leaving very specific written instructions, and putting just the food you want fed per day in a pill box or something, and hiding the rest. I've heard too many nightmare stories about sitters overfeeding!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #7 
Catie79

I think your vase would look really cool with some moss tied to it. It would make it look a bit more like a vase that's been at the bottom of a lake for awhile. Java moss is also good with low light and is good for water quality.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote