Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #1 
ILo

fin rot or parasites?

In the past week my betta has been darting a lot. At first I thought it was because of stress of a water change. Then I thought the filter was too strong so I baffled it. Still darting. After checking ph a couple days okay I noticed it was too high so adjusted it back to 7.0. Nitrates were at zero and ammonia at zero. I was going to do water change yesterday (about 5 days since last) but seeing that he calmed down I didn't want to stress him more. Today I woke up and noticed what could be fin rot on his top fins. But he has had a pin sized hole on his bottom fin since we got him. Thought this was just the way he was. He is acting more normal..not as much darting since I fixed ph. Could this be parasites or fin rot? I am unable to get to the pet store till possibly later today or tomorrow as we are in the middle.of a snow storm. I don't have any aquarium salt or medicines. What should I do now? 100% water change, partial water change? I tried taking a pic. I will try to add to my albums now. Thanks!
ILo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #2 
ILo

It's a 4 gallon filtered tank. Not yet cycled. If that helps.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #3 
callistra

Changing the ph of water via chemicals only leads to ph fluctuations. Bettas can adapt to a wide range of ph (so long as it is between about 6.5-9) but these swings can be very stressful and even lethal. Whatever you're doing to adjust your ph, stop.

More info would also be helpful: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Do you have a kit for nitrites? What are you using to test.. strips or drops? How are you mixing up the tests?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #4 
ILo

My betta is no longer darting. Acting normal it seems. Except for his fin looking tattered. I use API pj test & adjuster kit. And using the glass vial provided to test water and then adding ph down until at around 7.0 ph. I add while fish is in the tank. Also I use API Ammonia test kit and Nitrate test kit. Both levels were at zero.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #5 
callistra

API ph adjuster needs to be discontinued. What is your water ph without adjusting?

When you use the ammonia and nitrate test kit you shake the bottled, add both bottles, shake the tube and then let it sit 5 minutes?

If you could fill out the guide and provide photos that would help with the fin rot issue but the darting is probably because of all the ph fluctuations.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #6 
ILo

Housing:
Tank size: 4 gallons
Temp: 72 degrees Heated
Filtered
No air stone
No tank mates

Food:
Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
4 pellets a day 6x a week.
Good appetite

Maintenance:
25% water change ever 6 days.
New tank with 1 water change so far. Due for second today.
Add dechlorinator (used AquaSafe) and API ph down.

Water Parameters:
Checked yesterday.
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 7.6, lowered to 7.0 with fish in tank

Symptoms:
Started after last water change. Fish darting constantly. Thought it was the filter current so baffled that. But it didn't help. After rechecking Ph yesterday and it was too high, lowered it and he started calming down within a few hours but this morning I noticed the frayed, rooting fins. Not sure.
No treatments
New fish bought about a month ago. Second tank as he was getting stuck in the filter of the first one.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #7 
ILo

Pics are in my album. Let me know if you can't find them. It was hard taking a pic of him showing the fin good but I did my best.
My tap water Ph shows up 7.6.
I follow ammonia and nitrate test directions on kit properly.
He is no longer darting.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #8 
ILo

Just checked on him again and fins are even more frad and more holes. He's also flaring a lot. I think at his reflection. Not sure. I just don't know what to do. Should I do a water change asap and how much? I'm adding another pic to the album.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #9 
shellieca

Since your tank is new you are doing a fish in cycle & need to have a complete liquid test kit that includes a test for ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes & Ph. How long has this tank been set up? It is possible you have nitrItes which are dangerous to your fish. IME, a fish cycling tank typically requires a 50%+ water change every 2-3 days. Your Ph is fine, there is no reason to adjust it as previously stated. Until you can get a complete set of liquid tests I would a 50%+ water change to see if that helps in his behavior & the clean, warm, conditioned water will help heal his fins.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #10 
ILo

Just added another pic to album that I just took. Seems worse. He's flaring a lot. Fins seem more rotted and with holes. Seems more lethargic. Not sure. And he's flaring a lot. What should I do? Water change asap? How much?